"shake to undo" unpractical for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedarkhorse, Aug 24, 2010.

1. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Anyone else notice this? I haven't done much long typing on my ipad but while typing something while it was docked today I needed to undo something and the only way is to pick it up and shake it. I imagine it's a pain for those who type on it with an apple case or any other case that props it up. Shake to undo works alright for iphone but they need to figure something better for ipad.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree that shaking an iPad is much harder than shaking iPhone. However, if you switch to the numbers keyboard, you get an undo button. If you then switch to the symbols keyboard, you get a redo button.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yeah its pretty dumb. i think its just one of those little things that fell through the cracks at apple. wouldnt be surprised if they got rid of it in iOS 4

4. macdim macrumors 6502

You don't have to do it though. There is an undo button on the number and symbol keyboard. So it really isn't harming anyone by being there.

5. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Well, whaddaya know!?!? He's right! I can't believe I never noticed those keys before. I consider myself a complete iOS geek too. Guess I never really looked over there.

Thank god, because I felt stupid shaking my iPad like an Etch-a-Sketch in Starbucks.

6. mklnk macrumors regular

My favourite is when I'm typing while galloping down a flight of stairs and the little Undo dialogue keeps popping up. Or, just sitting on a bumpy train with it. Occasionally during rapid acceleration/decelaration on the NYC subway, I'll even get the screen to rotate for a second.

7. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

8. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Hmmm, I've never had to undo anything. What is being undone?

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

It takes a lot more shaking to get the pop-up. On an iPhone it doesn't but I guess it relates to the real estate of the device. I just use the "Undo" button on the keyboard.

10. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I find it quite hard to get the message. Normally I just rotate the screen. Much easier on the symbols screen.

11. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225