Shakespeer Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gattz, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

So this is the recommended DC++ for Mac OSX correct? I'm thinking about using it at college, but how risky is this? As in will I get kicked out of school if they catch me?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If your college has rules against file sharing, then yes, you could get kicked out for it.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

They likely have their firewalls setup to block such transfers from those programs, and yes if they catch you they can take legal actions against you.

4. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is my roommate and other people have been using it on campus as well. He has been using it for about a month already too.

5. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Your school's administrators should be able to provide you with a copy of their acceptable use policy.

They might have specific rules about file sharing applications.

6. MidwestStuck macrumors member

I would like to say no, but it really depends on the school you go to. Mine turns a blind eye to it, just because DC++/Shakespeer is an intra-campus network (which means, they don't have to worry about the RIAA spying in or viruses ravaging student's computers). Don't ever try using Limewire or any other P2P networks on a campus connection, though.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

At my university you would only get in trouble if you exceeded your bandwidth restrictions for that week. If the RIAA catches you downloading a file, they'd send it to the IT guys who would in turn send it along to the user. "Three strikes your out."

8. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that is the difference between using DC++ because you aren't really using the internet, you are just connecting with other people. It is a sort of another network. So it should be okay since many people have been using it here.

9. MidwestStuck macrumors member

Correct. You should be fine, as long as you're not trafficking a gajillion files. Just don't point the cops to me if you get caught :p