Shall I buy a macbook now or wait for an update??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gus22, Oct 6, 2011.

  1. gus22 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2011
    #1
    Hiya, I am a music technology student and have used macbook pros for ages and think they are simply the best laptop out there. I've just received my student loan so have decided to buy one myself. The problem is that on macrumors buy guide it tells me that the MBPs are due an update and not to buy one now, will the update be worth waiting for?? keeping in mind I plan to use it to run music programs like ableton etc.. and how long roughly could it take to be released? help much appreciated
     
  2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #2
    If you need one get it now, if you can wait...wait.
     
  3. jlluna macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Location:
    Holly Michigan
    #3
    If it was me. I would wait and see what apple comes out with. theres rumors that it is going to be a big change coming to the macs. But that's just rumors like the iPhone 5:)
     
  4. eddieaus macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2009
    #4
    i don't think there will be any major update for MBP until Q2 2012. Ivy Bridge processors will be released in March 2012. it's gonna be a long wait, so you better just get it now. although i do believe the next MBP will see a new design because of the 22nm Ivy Bridge.
     
  5. Macology macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2010
    Location:
    The dark side of the mountain
    #5
    Same situation, added question

    If I do go ahead and purchase now (since I need the MBP now) and my goal is to keep the MBP for several years and NOT just until the next cool upgrade, should I go with an amped up Hard Drive? I'm already on board with getting the memory upgrade.

    I'm *not* a super user but will be operating several programs at a time (InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator) as well as Office. I just don't know if that would mean that an upgraded HD would be better.

    I'm also springing for the hi-res matte finish screen, so at this point... yeah, I'm getting numb to the cost, and just want the smartest config for long-term use.

    Thanks!
     
  6. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    #6
    since your music technology student the only problem with waiting is they might drop the optical drive in a redesign which you may still want

    I'm still on the fence myself buy now or wait. I would buy now actually if it wasn't for the fact that the 13" didn't have a quad core option. I prefer the smaller size but the power of the 15" :/
     
  7. Prhymeate macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2010
    #7
    Whether you go for an HD upgrade or a memory upgrade, I would suggest doing them yourself rather than paying the insane prices apple want for a 4GB > 8GB upgrade for example. Unless you already planned to do that of course.
     
  8. baypharm macrumors 65816

    baypharm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #8
    "Amped up HD?" Hmmmm....well, I wouldn't be foaming at the mouth at the prospect of getting the largest and greatest internal HD imaginable. You should always keep several external drives nearby to warehouse your data. Especially if it's mission critical data. Don't depend on the internal drive to be your redeeming grace.
     
  9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2011
    #9
    Don't get the memory from Apple, buy the 8GB separately and upgrade it yourself, so much cheaper.

    I'd also advise buying a new 2.5" SATA HDD. The upgrade is marginally cheaper than what you get from Apple, but you can then use the HDD that comes with the MBP externally (once you buy a caddy).
     
  10. Macology macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2010
    Location:
    The dark side of the mountain
    #10
    Thanks, baypharm--you uncover my basic lack of knowledge about "why" I might need an upgraded HD. I think I'll go with the basic config. I already have an external HD for backup, and if we're just talking storage, then I can get more if/when needed.

    Thank you so much for responding!

    ----------

    Thanks, AdrianK and Prhymeate... I hadn't thought about getting any of this separately, so will check that out!
     
  11. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Location:
    Oxford, England
    #11
    I'd be tempted to wait a few weeks in case of the rumoured "speed bump" update, also would just get it with a "standard" hard drive, then buy a third-party SSD (e.g. Crucial M4) then put the stock HDD in the optibay and use the superdrive in a external enclosure. Oh, and upgrade to RAM to 8Gb, but do this yourself, much cheaper than buying Apple's! Also, if your a music tech student, I would go for a hi-res screen for Logic/Ableton, I think the matte one is the better option too.
     
  12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #12
    did you not even try to look this up?

    thee wont be redesigned macbooks pro till atleast early 2012 so if u need one, buy it now. there more than enough powerful enough for ur needs
     
  13. pingfan59 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    #13
    If you want to wait 6 months for the new one, I would do that. If you need something before then. Go with the MBP 15. I went through the same thought basically 2 months ago.

    IPhone 5 was supposed to come out, guess what nada. Ho ahead and get one and id the new one comes out and you have to have it, you could easily sell it as they have great re-sell value.

    Josh
     
  14. Gurutech macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2006
    #14
    If you really don't need it, wait.
    But you will have to wait more than 6 months.
     
  15. gus22 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2011
    #15
    Thanks very much guys!, you've defo sorted me out. Think I'm just gonna run with the more than adequate macbook pro of the moment instead of waiting, and by the time I need to get a new one I'm sure there will be a nice upgraded macbook of the moment waiting for me, cheeeeers!
     
  16. Nychot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    #16
    If anything apple will most likely drop the superdrive like they did with the mac mini and once again make life more difficult for those who still use dvd as apple wants everything donr via the cloud so you buy all siftware from apple. You'd be better off buying now new or get a bargain refurb from the apple store online.




     
  17. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

    ScottNWDW

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #17
    For all those on the fence about buying a new MacBook Pro. I wouldn't buy one now because Apple hasn't announced anything yet but in 2012 the line will be updated, therefore for the latest and greatest MacBook Pro you should wait until about April of 2012 to get one.

    But then, by that time rumours of the 2013 model will be flying around at full speed and that one promises to be really awesome, so maybe waiting until 2013 might be your best bet.

    However, my inside sources at Apple say that the 2014 model will be the "next generation" model and therefore waiting until that version is out would be the best bang for your buck.

    Then again, with the way chips are being designed the 2015 model will be revolutionary and an entire game changer as far as laptops go so if you want the best of the best of the best then 2015 is your year to buy that MacBook Pro you need now. After all you wouldn't want to buy an outdated computer would you.

    But then in 2016 and then 2017 the rumor mill is really speculating some amazing things.

    The moral of the story is.... if you want the MacBook Pro buy it now, a new updated version is always right around the corner.

    Then again, if you really want that totally awesome MacBook Pro, 2018 will be the year to take the plunge. or maybe 2019, no wait 2020.
     
  18. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    #18
    there probably won't be an update until early-mid next year, you are safe to buy one now.
     
  19. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2010
    #19
    Just buy one and start enjoying it! You can always resell it for a 10ish% loss when the new models hit, as opposed to waiting for 6 months of agony while obsessively checking macrumors for MBP update news :)
     

Share This Page