Shall I buy a MacBook Pro? Please help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by killianb, May 27, 2009.

1. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Hi guys! I'm just looking for a bit of advice really -- here's my story:

I bought a MacBook back in October when the new unibodies were released. I was coming from an aging MacBook Pro, and although I didn't really notice much difference in the performace, I miss the bigger screen and better gaming. So, really, after a few weeks of having the MacBook, I regretted not getting the Pro. And I have done ever since.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I knocked a cup of coffee all over my MacBook. Just 3 days after activating its AppleCare!! So I've decided, rather than pay for it to be repaired, I'll just sell it on eBay for spares etc and get myself the MacBook Pro I've wanted for ages.

However over the past few days, I've been reading up a lot about the MBP and it seems many, many of users seem to have problems with their units. I admit I am an Apple fanboy and don't have many negative words to say about Apple, however I don't want to spend £1400 on a laptop to be constantly taking it in with defects etc.

So what's your advice? I know people will only shout about their problems and although it seems like a lot of people are suffering, there are still many that are quietly very happy. I just wanted a bit of advice from those of you that have one really.

Thanks in advance!

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Buy one. People normally only post about their computers ro complain or to find out how to fix something.

I have a uMBP and it doesn't have a problem (touch wood). I love it and don't regret purchasing it at all

3. macgrl macrumors 65816

So far I have had no problems with mine and I love it. So happy that I got it.:)

4. jtus macrumors member

I have a UMBP and it doesn't have a problem at all !!!

5. yaroldb macrumors 6502

+1 here. It was a refurb and runs like a champ. No problems at all.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have to remember that people typically post here and other forums to ask for help, or complain about a problem. Most people who don't have issues don't come here to say their MBP is perfect. This leads people to the incorrect conclusion that the MBPs are prone to problems.

To set the record straight, I bought a unibody MBP last October when they came out and its perfect :D I'm very happy with it The hardest decision for me was choosing between the MB and the MBP. The size and form factor of the MB was a huge temptation.

7. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I wouldn't hesitate to get MBP. You have to keep in mind that far more people come and post here with a problem, rather than posting to say how great their MBP is. Also, you might wait a week or two because there are supposed to be updates to the MBP at the WWDC next week.

8. mkivsupra macrumors newbie

buy it and don't feel guilty. I bought a ubMB back in december too and felt the lust of having a larger work space (web development), longer battery (school), faster processor (video encoding), and much better screen quality (photography). So much lust in fact, I bought a 17" unibody with my ADC student discount and couldn't be happier. I too worried about all the problems I read as well and I just had to give myself faith in apple's warranties if stuff is jacked up. I opened her up yesterday and saw perfectly aligned edges, 0 dead pixels, 0 crooked keys, 0 screws loose, no screws missing, no LEDs out, and the most beautiful machine I have ever owned. I cant find a single thing wrong with it. Good luck and go for it!

9. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

buy one and dont look back... the umbp has been the best computer i have used...

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I bought a MBP late last spring and added Applecare to it in the autumn. It is by far the best computer I have ever owned, beautifully designed and a joy to use. So, yes, I'd recommend that you buy one; as you have had one previously, you know what they are like, but just to remind you; their power, performance, superb screen all place them well above the MB (still an impressive machine) to my mind. It sounds to me that you simply need a little convincing....

Cheers and good luck

11. adityaw macrumors newbie

12. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

I have one on the way...got it from https://www.springboardstore.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3, today in fact, should be here by Monday, and I can't wait! I'll let you know what I think, but you can't be the price and my wife has a uMB and I have been so jealous! Good luck, I doubt you can really go that wrong, besides, get Applecare and dont get it wet and you'll be fine! ;)

3rdLittlePiggie

13. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I knew there were many of you out there that had perfect units, I suppose I just wanted some reassurance.

I think I shall make my order tomorrow! :D How exciting!

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I sometimes wonder how many people this site scares away from macs

15. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

My advice is to buy a Thinkpad. At least they don't have that horrid aluminum-body-with-black-keyboard color scheme.

16. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

What kind of advice is this? He wants a mac book pro.

17. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

I love my MBP its my first apple device minus my iPod mini/nano. I don't ever plan on getting anything else anytime soon.

18. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

It a good point -- it nearly did put me off a MacBook Pro. However, like I and others have said, people will only speak out about their problems and it's not often people just post to say how pleased and happy they are.

To the one who advised towards a ThinkPad. I don't think I will ever buy a Windows PC again. I used Windows for a long, long time and when I moved to Mac a few years ago, it was such a relief. I didn't realise how much better and more reliable Macs were until I started using one for day-to-day things. I have no problem installing Windows in BootCamp for the odd gaming, and software not available on Mac, however I'll never spend money on a PC again.

19. rhodent2013 macrumors member

I am having to face this decision also. Like a previous poster, I am trying to decide between a MB and 15'' MBP. I am getting it for college and I really like the portability of the MB, but the MBP is more powerful and I like fast computers. This will be my first Mac and I do not want to screw up in making my decision. Any suggestions? Do you feel that your MBP is portable enough? Message me back.

20. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

With all due respect, people don't make up these problems and the sad fact is Apple have had several major product flaws over the last few years. The MBP alone has suffered from 'mooing' fans, poor LCD displays with several different issues affecting whole batches of machines (the initial LED-lit 15" screens being an obvious example), the dreaded bulging batteries, the Nvidia 8600m fault and so on.

I think forums like this are quite important because they show that not all is perfect in the Apple world and allow customers to make informed decisions regarding the premium they pay for these products. If there were no problems with the machines, or if they were isolated cases, there wouldn't be so many posts regarding issues.

To the OP - good luck with your purchase and hope everything is perfect when you get it. :D

21. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

What will you be using your notebook for? If it's just college work, the MacBook would be more than enough. It's not a bad machine at all. I only had the 2.0GHz model, and for office, Mail, iTunes, etc, it was fast enough and worked well. However, when I wanted to boot up Windows for the odd gaming, it did suffer a bit.

I do agree Apple's quality control may need looking at, however, those that do have problems, always seem to be able to get them sorted quickly enough through AppleCare.

22. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If you're the kind of person who spills things on your computer, buy a Thinkpad from IBM. You can pour milk into the keyboard while it's on and it will stay on, and still work, because the milk will be routed around the motherboard and drained out the bottom.

23. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

I'm not usually "the kind of person who spills things on my computer" -- I'm usually very careful about liquids around my electrical stuff. However, unfortunately accidents do sometimes happen, and you learn from them.

I think I'd rather not have a computer than have a PC again. Like I've said before, and no disrespect to those that use Windows, I had so, so many problems in the many years that I used Windows I would just never go back. I don't mind booting up XP every now and again for a bit of gaming or for other Windows-only apps, however I'd never waste my money on a Windows-only PC again. No matter how waterproof it is.

24. rhodent2013 macrumors member

I will probably have some games on mine also. It is for college work but it will be the only laptop my parents get me until i get my own... so i want to get the very best. i have debated about putting windows on the system... I am not sure if it will be necessary for me though as games are shifting toward mac (Sims 3). I wouldnt use my computer for hard core gaming, I would use my PS3. But I could see myself using it for games like the Sims or internet games or movies and downloads. I also have tons of programs open at one time for my own convenience and this PC cannot keep up.

25. celtikmind macrumors 6502

Just to add my story about AppleCare...

I have an uMBP which I'm getting rid off. Why? Overheat problems are one of the major causes. I'm on my forth specimen and Apple still can't seem to give me a working computer though I've paid them $2300... :mad: They QA might need some attention, yes, if they can ever find some time away from the iPhone... :rolleyes: When it comes to AppleCare, most success-stories I've read (or heard) originates from the States. Over here in Europe they're don't seem half as friendly or accommodating.

I'm going to give them a fifth and final chance moving to an uMB since I've found them better suited for me (size-wise). Having one computer doing everything isn't a viable option for me, my requirements are far too varied (gaming, work, personal). For a portable, I would need one for my playthings; photos, music and so on. uMB will fit that nicely in small package if I should happen to get one that works. If not, I've had it with Apple for the time being and will be looking into something else for my computing needs. For work stuff I'm now getting a stationary PC. Why? They're cheap and correctly configured they work like they should. That and CAD on Mac sucks imo, there's no AutoCAD for Mac and I need that for work stuff.

Besides, mixing business with pleasure is always unprofessional... :D