Shall I buy an iMac now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JanP, Aug 26, 2009.

1. JanP macrumors newbie

Thinking about getting an iMac soon. I was wondering whether I should wait for the new release or not.

In favour of waiting:
    1) Price cuts are expected
    2) Better hardware

In favour of buying now:
    1) Not clear when the new release will happen
    2) iPod Touch deal expires 8 September

Any thoughts?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That pretty much sums up every release ever. Buy when you need it just like EVERYONE ELSE. :p

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just buy now. If price cut is true, you'll still win with iPod deal. There won't be noticeable update before 2010.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The MacRumors buyer's guide says this about the iMac: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

If you want to take advantage of the free iPod Touch or this rumor doesn't mean much to you, I would suggest you buy it now. If you want to have the latest and the greatest, I would wait until a new update happens.

5. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

some people say that new ones will have blu-ray *if your interested* they just renew it in march so hmm I don't think they will do any renew for another year i.e march 2010 unless something new comes etc..

I say buy now *this means after 28-aug so you get free Snow Leopard*

6. onavircs macrumors newbie

:confused:
    I am in the same boat. If needed I could wait a month, however it would help a great deal if I had it now and it would just be nice to have a new iMac now... (buying a new mac is great !)

But unsure... I suppose I will be waiting till September 8th. Buy an imac online wait for that to be shipped. than see if by the time it gets to me if there is some kind of update coming soon. than if so I won't open it :( and send back.....

Dang why couldn't I have needed an Imac when it was released than not have to worry about anything.

7. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

There is about a month and a half left in the projected cycle of the imac right now. i am in the market for one as well, but i'm also considering waiting. if i can find the model i want on the refurb store though, i'm going for it.
    even if they added bluray, i couldn't care less. i have a ps3 and i never touch it, i just use a mac mini for all of my media. even then, i don't like to keep physical media at all.

8. JanP thread starter macrumors newbie

Main reason for me to buy now is the iPod Touch deal which basically reduces the price by £120 or so if you sell it on ebay. That deal will end 08 September and I am not sure about any similar deals afterwards.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

There won't be a similar deal until next summer, so if you want to take advantage of it, I would buy now.

10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

buy now [​IMG] if you wait... then you'll wait after the new ones come out because new new ones will be out and you never know what apple are gonna pull out so stay safe and go now and get a nice iPod

11. superlatic macrumors regular

Re price cuts, who knows. I am in the market for a laptop at the mo and I intend on waiting until after sept 8th to see if any price cuts are introduced.

Re updates, Jan 2010 at the earliest. Thats when intels arrandale chipset will be released.

Incidentally, will arrandale still keep the name core2duo? or will it be known as core i3?

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why? If you buy now you get free iPod Touch which is worth over 200$ (over 150$ if you sell it). Laptops just got price cut and I doubt it'll be greater than iPod deal is now.

520M and 540M (2.4 and 2.53GHz, 35W) are Core i5 and others are Core i7

13. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

So many people play the wait and see game with Apple and they lose. What I've see happen. A lot of people try and wait out for a refresh or an update only to be disappointed when one finally comes along.

I say get your computer start learning & enjoying all the new software and by the time a refresh comes in your already so out there enjoying your system that you won't really care.