Shall I get this laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lambros, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Lambros macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

So I was originally waiting for Sandy Bridge, but thought to myself that technology is updated every 6 months or so, so that is the point in waiting?

Anyway, despite all the other threads out there, I wanted to run this by you at MacRumors:

I want this laptop for gaming and light video processing within the first 2 or so years, and word processing, email, youtube, etc for up to 3-4 years from now. I want to get the Core i7 Processor 15" with 4gb ram and 500gb 7200 rpm. I will probably upgrade RAM and HDD to 8gb ram and SSD in 1-2 years. But, the main aim is that this computer lasts for the next few years (3-4 to be specific, as stated earlier).

Do you think this computer will meet my time requirement, or will it be essential to wait for the next update?

Many thanks,

Lambros

2. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

I have the exact MBP with that configuration and with High Resolution screen as well.

I do Photoshop & Lightroom moderately.

I do video encoding Handbrake moderately.

I play FIFA11, PES11, Modern Warefare 2.

You call.

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

4. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

Probably CoD, Guild Wars, might try WoW, but haven't liked it in the past. Also, Left 4 Dead 2 looks good.

What do you think? after about 6 months this wont really be a gaming computer.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

video processing isn't an issue, I run PS, LR, and FC on my 13" er day just fine

It's the gaming requirement that could be a problem depending on the types o games you play.

6. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

At the end of the day, I want a computer that would be able to last a college student for 3-4 years. What do you think about this one? Obviously this means word processing, etc.

Gaming would be light and on the side.

PS Never had a Mac before, but by the sounds of things, they last quite a while.

EDIT: So do you think this will suit my needs? I think it will, but would love clarification from anyone who can give me some.

Thank you!

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think your plan sounds good as laid out. I am on a 2007 MBP (my first ever Mac) and I am still using it today, in fact right now to type this. They last a long time if properly taken care of.

8. LocoStrange macrumors member

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Good gracious, why not? What are your justifications for this advice?

OP's usage isn't all that heavy for a laptop. In today's academic environment, a desktop is kind of limiting for a college undergrad.

10. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Who knows when the next MBP update is, Sandry Bridge is nice but if you wait for that, it might be longer than you're willing to wait. The thing is, whenever you do buy, just make sure it meets your current requirements, and make sure you're OK with a new product coming out unexpectedly. Its the way Apple does things. If you always buy someone but regret it when someone new comes out, its going to be a cycle of buyers remorse that should have been reviewed before swiping that card. :D

11. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so maybe it would be better if I told you the full situation. University here doesn't start until about March, 2011. This means I don't NEED it until then. However, I literally have nothing to do until that time. So, I was thinking get the MBP for now so I can enjoy it for 4 months (i.e. SOME gaming) then use it at university for projects and that (little if any gaming). Do you think I should still buy. I mean, most will say wait, because March, 2011 is when SB will probably come out. But, at the end of the day, I could also enjoy my first Mac for the next 4 months, which is always good right?

What's your opinion on this? Get now or wait? Please consider the next 4 months I have if you can.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why not buy something used that'll do the job yet hold its value (like a used macbook pro someone's selling to buy an Air), use it for the next six months, and then if whatever's come out new looks good sell the used macbook and buy the new one.

Sure you'll likely sell the temporary macbook for a little less than you bought it for, but that's really just your cost of having the macbook between now and then.

13. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

yes but wont this laptop (15" purchased now) last me for another 3.5-4 years??

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

easily unless you plan on running the equivalent of crysis in 4 years

15. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

I don't plan on playing many computer games (if I do, not CPU intensive at all) after my first 2 years of having this. So, shall I buy it now and enjoy my first mac? :D