Shall I upgrade from Yosemite to Maverick?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Kulfon, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Kulfon macrumors regular

Hello all,
    I wanted to ask you if the new OS is stable now and it is safe to upgrade from Yosemite. I am using a maxed out version of the latest Retina MacBook Pro 15''. My current system is working great, so I do not have any real need to move to Maverick, it is just a matter of using the latest system. Thank you for your suggestions!

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The newest version is called El Capitan, Mavericks is the prior version.

3. Kulfon thread starter macrumors regular

4. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

The most stable OS I've run these past couple years was 10.8x. I could leave the computer running for months and it never crashed. 10.9x was okay once it hit 10.9.3 but would drop USB drives and crash once a week or so. I skipped 10.10 but went from 10.9.5 to 10.11 (El Capitan) and what a mess it was: multiple crashes daily, fans screaming, USB drives dropped every hour or so and my poor Mini i7 needed to be restarted at least daily to be stable. Things have improved with 10.11.2 and I'm back to one or two weekly crashes and dropping drives after system sleep. If I close Safari and Mail before invoking sleep, it normally wakes fwithout freezing or crashing. If I leave those apps open, it crashes about 50% of the time after sleep. If I could do it all again, I'd never upgrade from 10.8x. Each OS seems to get a little more whack...

5. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

My proposal to you, as I suggested to others, is to make a bootable clone of your entire system.
    Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is a tool for it and an external drive would be advisable.
    Then you can boot from that clone and upgrade the clone leaving your actual system untouched.

Use that upgrade with all your external hardware, printers, scanners etc. and all the software you use, and see how it feels.
    It is normal that it will run slowlier from the external than from the internal drive, so that this should be accepted and not influence your decision.

Doing so you take no risks and do not depend on the opinion of others who in most cases have usually different soft- and hardware.

Reading different posts one sees that different hard- and software brings entire different experiences regarding any OSX, from very good to terrible!
    :confused:
    What counts for you is your experience! :)
    Ed