Shall i wait for the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjamin Gordon, Jun 3, 2015.

  1. Benjamin Gordon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2015
    #1
    Hi peeps.

    I make music on a 5 year old MBP. Its super slow now but its still going.

    Shall i wait for the next gen of MBP's with the newer processors, perhaps later this year or buy now? Im basically trying to work out if the next gen of processors intel are announcing/working on will be a big enough jump for me to wait a few months?

    Thanks!
     
  2. aaron5566 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2012
    #2
    Stuck in relatively similar situation as you bro. I feel like my 2012 MBA is on its last legs but I feel cheated upgrading to this 15" model. Paying premium for a 2 year old processor and losing out on a possible redesign...
     
  3. Simplicated macrumors 65816

    Simplicated

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2008
    Location:
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    #3
    Wow, we're in the same boat. Same MBA that's dying, wanting to upgrade to the 15" MBP. Knowing that Thunderbolt 3 will use the USB-C port and Skylake has all the goodies, I think I'm gonna wait just a little longer...
     
  4. aaron5566 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2012
    #4
    What's making this wait hard for me is that, I have been using the laptop more often now and it's giving me headaches. My mind is telling me to wait in line too but my heart is telling me to take the plunge and bare the depreciation if I do intend on selling it in a few months time of next year to get Skylake.
     
  5. allistera macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2012
    #5
    I have a macbook that is three years old, here is what I am going to do: buy a new one after Monday (Fat chance of a macbook update, but you never know what might happen).

    If a new updated laptop comes out next year or so, privately sell the one I have, and buy the new one. Simples.
     
  6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #6
    If Apple holds to their usual pattern (and they usually do), we'll probably see an update to Intel's Skylake the same time that the next version of OS X (10.11) is released (probably mid/late October). If you can wait until then...wait. If not, don't.

    Personally, I don't see a major design change in the current rMBP - i.e. going to a single USB-C like the MacBook, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's incorporated into the design.
     
  7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #7
    If you need one now buy one now, it's as simple as that. For music production any changes will mean nothing and getting another year of increased speed and productivity is always more beneficial than a minor CPU speed increase in a years time...
     
  8. scaredpoet, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

    scaredpoet macrumors 604

    scaredpoet

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #8
    I would get one now. Both MBPr lines have been refreshed recently, and chances are slim to none you'll see any changes on Monday (if that were the case, we'd probably see a lot of current orders suddenly getting delayed to avoid people exchanging their <2 week "old" models for "new.")

    At this point, the current crop is leaps and bounds ahead of your 5 year old MBP. Get one now, and enjoy the increase in speed and capability. Even if by come miracle a new update were on the horizon, the change in performance would be minuscule compared to the leap you'll experience over your current model.

    Also, bear in mind: It's likely the next gen of MBP will have USB-C. And you'll have to ask yourself if you want to upgrade ALL of your USB-A connector music gear (or get $79 USB C-A adapters) if you get such a model. Or you can get the current gen and be sure that all your existing gear will continue to work with it, no adapters required, for another 5 years or so.
     

Share This Page