Shame on Apple...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jungleland26, Feb 14, 2011.

1. jungleland26 macrumors newbie

iPhoto is not 64bit, and does not utilize multiple cores. So this 12 core I have is.......for..... Oh, just not iPhoto, I got it...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt iPhoto would be any faster with 64-bit and 12-core support...

3. jungleland26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see how what you just said can make any less sense. Please, enlighten me.

4. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Easy, iPhoto is not a particularly complicated program. Doesn't have high cpu or memory demands. So buying a mac pro to run itunes is like buying a mclaren to commute in.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

iPhoto doesn't do nearly as much as photoshop can do. Having 12 cores is not going to import or add the little effects that you can do on iPhoto any faster.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

More like "Shame on the OP" for blaming Apple for something without fully understanding the issue. This thread title should be changed, since Apple isn't to blame for anything in this situation.

How do I get help with a hardware or software problem?
    To edit your thread title, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where you can edit the thread title.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

7. jungleland26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Well how about handling 60mb raw files, creating copies, exporting slideshows in uncompressed 1080p. That's all done in a 32bit single core program.

8. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

And isn't particularly taxing.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. The biggest advantage of 64-bitness is support for +4GB of RAM. iPhoto alone don't need that much.

2. Organizing photos is not CPU intensive. If you take a look at your CPU usage, iPhoto isn't using more than a precent or two of one core.

Most likely the bottleneck here is your hard drive(s). If you have high quality pics, it will take more time to load the previews. HDs are the biggest bottleneck in today's computers so getting an SSD and putting your pics there would definitely speed it up. However, SSDs are rather expensive.

Moreover, iPhoto is aimed at consumers, not for 12-core MP owners. Take a look at Adobe's software if you're looking for something more professional with better hardware support.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Handling these tasks is more of a RAM issue than a CPU issue. It's not much work at all for the CPU.

11. jungleland26 thread starter macrumors newbie

based upon previous logic in this thread. I love to hear why "preview" for example, is 64bit, or a 64bit address book, or a 64bit calculator....

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple is still in the process of transitioning to 64-bit. Not all apps have been upgraded yet. You won't see any difference in performance with iPhoto between 32-bit and 64-bit, unless you need much more than 4GB of RAM to edit photos.

13. jungleland26 thread starter macrumors newbie

people. importing, sorting and editing photos is NOT all that you do in iPhoto. Try exporting an uncompressed 1080p slideshow, in that 32bit single core program.... You just can't argue against that point....

Funny, I just did the exact same process, using a 64bit program using all twelve cores, what took 39 minutes in iPhoto took 9 in the 64bit multi core prog. Just saying.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is what most people do. Adding multithread support is more than just one line of code. Your usage is much more professional level, thus you need to use software that is designed for that purpose.

15. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

The problem is not your choice of machine it`s your choice of software.
    If I was spending 12 Core Mac Pro money I would be running aperture or similar.
    It just seems odd to me to spend so much on a machine and then run "budget" software on it, if you see what I mean.

16. jungleland26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do, thanks. I use iphoto for other reasons, as explained.

17. jungleland26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hate aperture. I use LR3, and CS5 master for most of my needs. But, when I'm not in "work" mode, I do like to dumb it down and use iPhoto, it should just move a lot faster than it does.

18. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Fair enough.
    I`m sure iPhoto will eventually move to 64bit.