Shameless Chinese Apple Watch clone running Android

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Michaelgtrusa, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Michaelgtrusa, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

And you can expect a user experience befitting the price!

3. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Normally I would shame on copycats but I do think a camera like that one on the watch is cool. If Apple could fit two on an iPhone, they surely could fit one on the Apple Watch 2nd gen.

4. kdarling, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hard to tell if it's running Android or not. Too many "tech bloggers" think that anything that's not iOS must be Android. Many Chinese watches run ad hoc operating systems provided by the chip makers.

Of course, if it does run Android, that likely means you can write your own watch apps and sideload them. Pretty cool.

--

This comment in the source article was interesting:

clone_apple_gsm.png

First off, the S1 is not a system on a chip, no matter what Apple marketing says. It's a potted circuit board module.

Secondly, that Chinese watch... like many such watches... has a 32GB miscroSD card slot _AND_ a GSM SIM slot.

In other words, it can have 4x the storage of the Apple Watch, and 8x the storage of most Android Wear devices. Handy for both storage of the photos you take with the onboard camera, and for carrying your music.

PLUS it has cellular capability, which in many of these watches means both voice and 3G data, along with of course standalone SMS. Heck, some of these even have GPS.

For $45, that's a lot.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

6. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

It could even be $5 and it still won't matter if the thing does not work. I know several people who got attracted by these supposed to be cheap iPhone/iPad alternatives from the Chinese market, only to find out that they are garbage and can't do a damn thing.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

What's amazing is not what the dog says sir, but the fact that it's talking at all :)

Sure, anyone who thinks it's an equivalent device to Apple's or Android Wear, is nuts.

But if you're a poor person in China and want a simple wrist phone, with minimal apps like texting / clock / calls / camera, then that's why those factories continue to pump out these things.

8. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I agree with what you saying, except that is its quite often the case with non poor people on the west and not only these poor ones in China.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I agree that cheap tablets are a problem. As for phones, really the only widespread buyer-beware clone was the Note 3 knock-off. Even the packaging was a perfect clone. But as for this topic...

Are these vaguely look-a-like watches easily available in the UK?

In the US, you'd have to buy from someone shady on Craigslist, or deliberately go through a lot of trouble tracking down an English TaoBao buyer agent.

Thanks!

10. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Yes, on eBay

11. jwball macrumors regular

They look awful.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Thanks. Very interesting. For some reason, I thought that UK eBay would have stricter rules.

Of course, it doesn't say "Apple". But it does have the signature gaggle of icons :)

For the US eBay, I suspect that Apple has applied pressure and so I personally have only seen one early Apple watch lookalike. (If anyone has found others, please post them!)

OTOH, there are still lots of Samsung Gear copies in the US eBay, like this one.

13. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

No thank you.
    & I think the "glass hole" incidents taught us that society will not tolerate surreptitious camera use by civilians. This idea is 100% instant creeper status.

Wait..... why did you want a watch camera again???!

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Durn. I have to take it back. Found a few myself on the US site:

Aiwatch-A8-Bluetooth-Smart-Watch-For-Android-Samsung-Smartphone-Black
    Aiwatch-A8-Bluetooth-Smart-Watch-For-Android-Samsung-Smartphone-Green

and

1-48-Bluetooth4-1-Smart-Watch-Wristwatch-Pedometer-Camera-for-Phone-cell-phone

I think the latter is like the one you posted from eBay UK.

Heh. I might just get one as a joke gift for a friend of mine :)