Shapeshifter slows performance of iMAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UKingdom, May 12, 2007.

1. UKingdom macrumors member

i recently installed shapeshifter to my new iMac 20 inch core 2 duo, and i've noticed programs take a little longer to open and performance has been a little slower; has anyone else noticed this? is it supposed to be a big RAM eater? any way of finding out what programs are running in background or what processes are running in background that i can terminate or which are eating up lots of ram? the problem is tolerable it's just annoying; i remember in the past opening a program was almost instantanous but now the icon jumps for 3-4 times before it launches. mabe it's time to buy more ram, i thought 1 gig was plenty.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

How much RAM do you have in the system? Less than 1GB and you *definitely* need to buy more RAM.

Beyond that, ShapeShifter works by "skinning" the apps by editing them in RAM. This is nice because it's not particularly destructive, but it can also cause the computer to take a performance hit as well as causing general instability. If you really want to use SS themes, I guess buying more RAM or simply dealing with the slight slowdown are your only options.

As for figuring out what's running and eating RAM, use Activity Monitor. It should be located in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

Hope that helps.

3. dylan macrumors 6502

As far as I know it just slows app launch times and can cause some stability problems.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Apparently Shapeshifter does slow down Macs a little, but I haven't really noticed anything. Or maybe that's just because I've used it for so long I can't remember what it's like without it. :D

5. zeedee-h macrumors member

zeedee-h

Ive got the same imac as you, havent noticed any changes in performance with shapeshifter on

but if someone had time they could do a test by opening programs with it on/off.

6. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Same here. got 2gb of RAM though (refering to OP not M@lew)

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs