Shaping internet connection.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bombertaylor, Mar 3, 2012.

1. bombertaylor macrumors newbie

Can someone shaping your internet connection without you knowing it ?.

The reason I ask because I suspect my housemate using software to shaping my connection speed. Whenever he is at home my connection really slow down significant. In the house we use on router for everyone.

How do I check it ?

Thank in advanced.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If your wifi is being used without your permission, you should check your firewall and router password settings. If your housemate is allowed to use your BB connection, then he or she is probably downloading large files. Little you can do about that except have a word with them.

3. Blue Monkey macrumors newbie

He's probably torrenting or something. I was paying for the internet and my last roommate refused to throttle his bandwidth speed to something more share friendly so I eventually changed the password and didn't give it to him. I'd recommend just bringing up the issue to your housemate in a polite manner. It is an issue.

4. bombertaylor thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I have to talk with him. But sometimes there is a warning my IP address has been used by another device. What does that mean ?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Part of him sharing...If he is not allowed to use it, then change all the passwords etc. If he is, tell him he is interfering with your work...Diplomacy would be good, perhaps you can persuade him to do his downloading at another time of day?