Share 27" Thunderbolt Display with MBA and PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnc22, Aug 6, 2011.

1. johnc22 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to share a 27" Cinema Display w/Thunderbolt with both my MBA and a PC.

Basically I still rely on a PC for my desktop needs, but would like to use my MBA connected to a larger monitor at times. While I have a cheap Samsung TN monitor now, I'd like something nicer, and the Cinema Display looks great, but only if I can multi-purpose it.

Assuming the above problem can be solved I'd also probably then be in the market for shareable Bluetooth keyboard/mouse to use with both systems.

TIA for any help that can be provided to a Mac newbie.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As far as we know at this moment, Thunderbolt Display is only compatible with Macs with Thunderbolt.

3. hazelw macrumors newbie

Do we know if a Boot camp PC will drive the thunderbolt dispaly?

4. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

But since the Thunderbolt also acts as a minidisplay port, adapters should still work or :confused:

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And that is the issue. Apple states you need Thunderbolt, and that is everything we got at the moment. Once the first units ship, we will know for sure.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

I know this is old thread... but just an update for those searching. The latest Asus P8z777-V Pro/Thunderbolt motherboard will run a Thunderbolt display. However I have yet to figure out a solution for it to run off the Radeon 7870 GPU in the PC. Clearly what has been stated, it needs a thunderbolt connection but I heard there was a way for the Thunderbolt port on-board to run a GPU in a PCIe slot.

Still looking for a solution as the HD 4000 on-board will do fine for daily tasks, clearly not something I would play games with. I have tried a Minidisplay to HDMI, DVI to MiniDisplay adapter and minidisplay to minidisplay, tbolt cable to GPU. All fail to light up the display.