Share 3g usb modem with Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AuroraProject, Jun 15, 2009.

1. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I received an at&t quicksilver 3g usb modem today. Works great on my MBP, however I can't seem to get XP to see the internet connection through Parallels. I have enabled internet sharing in the prefs pane. I shared the 3g modem to the ethernet connection. I tried installing the at&t connection manager software in virtual xp, but it wouldn't connect for some reason, so I removed the software.

Any pointers?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Turn off Internet Sharing first of all. Parallels doesn't require this function to share an internet connection.

Does your Parallels configuration use the internet through Airport and/or Ethernet when you're using those connection types?

3. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

After some reboots of os x and the virtual machine all is well. I turned off internet sharing like you said and it works fine now. I think I had the order of things wrong. It works when I connect via os x first, then start the virtual machine. If I try and connect with the vm running it doesn't work at all.

Gotta love this forum, an excellent resource!

4. Smackhawk macrumors newbie

3g USB modem issues with Parallels

I'm also having issues with my net connection in Parallels.

My MB is connected to the net via a 3G USB modem, I never had the Internet Sharing turned on. The vm isn't on when I connect, but I still can't get it working in parallels. (tried the USB modem software in the vm - nojoy there also)

Any pointers? Cheers