Share a folder between Win7 and Lion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zakg6, Dec 29, 2011.

1. zakg6 macrumors newbie

Hey, I'd like to share a folder between my Windows 7 partition and my Lion partitions for my music, since my old MBP doesn't have a big hard drive having 2 copies of my music would take up too much of my precious memory.

From what I've heard you can create a partition for files that both mac and windows can access but I don't know enough about doing that to try. Would that work? If so would I be able to write to it from both windows and lion?

Thanks

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

Create a partition that has an exFAT file format. It can be read and written to from either windows or OS X. It will show up as a third drive/partition in both sides and you can place whatever you need to in there.

The other option is to just simply manage your music from your os x side and leave your music in the music folder on that side, and seeing that windows in bootcamp can read from HFS+ partitions (but not write) it can still access all the files and music, thus you just point your itunes on windows to access the music folder on 'Macintosh HD', no duplicate files required.

With either method, you still need to remember that when you add music to one side, you have to tell the other OS' itunes to import that music from that location into its library.

Hope that helps and/or is clear, if not, ask away!

Cheers

3. zakg6 thread starter macrumors newbie

'The other option is to just simply manage your music from your os x side and leave your music in the music folder on that side, and seeing that windows in bootcamp can read from HFS+ partitions (but not write) it can still access all the files and music, thus you just point your itunes on windows to access the music folder on 'Macintosh HD', no duplicate files required.'

Ok that sounds good, i'm on windows now. My music is on my osx side.

I went to itunes, add folder, computer. But under 'hard disk drives' it only showed my 60GB partition. Am i doing something wrong? do i need software?

If this link works the screenshot will illustrate

[​IMG]

I've heard about a programme that lets windows write to your mac partition but apparently it is very unstable and can corrupt your hard drive.

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

yes you're right. The reading of the HFS+ from the windows side is the easiest, leaving music management itself all on the mac side.

Not sure about it not seeing your Mac partition, mine showed up right away, check out the disk management and admin tools in your control panel, sometimes the mac HD just needs to be mounted in there.

I don't have any experiences with the HFS write driver for windows, but again, if you're needing a way to transfer data between, just create a small exFAT partition for transfers and shared files.