Share a Pegasus Thunderbolt disk between computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jmx, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Jmx macrumors member

Hello,

I need to replace my old Drobo and are thinking of the new Pegasus R4.
    I use a Mac mini as server and want it to be connected there but still need to access it from a Mac pro and of course want the thunderbolt speed where ever i connect to it.

So can one thunderbolt station be shared between computers using the fantastic thunderbolt speed, or does the second computer have to connect and go through to the mini and loose a lot of speed?

Thanks for any input... i' new to thunderbolting :eek:

2. treestar macrumors 6502

I started a thread about this. Please contribute if you can. It's based on the idea of using one computer to host the storage device and connecting your other computer to the host via a Thunderbolt bridge. You can do this in the Network preferences. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1720022

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There are some enterprise FibreChannel boxes that allow multiple hosts to share RAID storage and deal with contention, but prosumer models like the R4 do not.

Hosts store data by sending a command to the storage box to write the following 4000 bytes into LBA ##. What is the storage box to do when both hosts want to write to the same LBA at the same time..... it can get messy.

The Thunderbolt bridge idea may be promising.