Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Most iPhone users know how to share a webpage link in Messages, but not everyone realizes that you can quote text from the webpage and include it in the message link. Keep reading to learn more.

quoted-text-webpage-share-messages-1.jpg

Incorporating quoted text when sharing a webpage link in Messages is a great way to get to the point and make it clear why the content you're sharing is relevant and interesting. It not only makes the link more engaging but also personalizes the message if it's sent in the midst of a conversation.

By highlighting specific text, you can streamline your communication by directing the recipient's attention to the most pertinent information on the linked website. It saves time, and ensures that the key piece of information you want to share isn't missed. It can also serve as a conversation starter. Here's how it works.
  1. In Safari, navigate to the webpage containing the relevant information you want to share.
  2. Select the text that you want to quote in your shared link by pressing and holding on the words, using the selection anchors to more precisely include the text you want.
  3. Tap the Share button at the bottom of Safari's interface, then tap the Messages icon in the share sheet, or choose a contact to message in the suggested list above.
  4. In the Messages app, add a comment for more context if desired, then tap the send button.
Monday-11-Mar-2024-14-45-05.jpg

That's all there is to it. By using this method of sharing links, it can even serve as a memory aid in ongoing conversations, which can help both you and your recipient recall the relevance of its content to previous discussions. Try it!

Article Link: Share a Webpage Link With Quoted Text in iPhone Messages

Last edited:
Reactions: FK9896 and poorcody

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I discovered it totally by accident a while back, but its usefulness is limited. It only works with Messages, for one thing. For another, the length of the snippet you can send is pretty short, so you have to hope the key point you want to highlight is concisely worded.

Still, it's a cool feature for certain things.

Reactions: xpxp2002 and xmach

The Apple Bitch

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2024
I discovered it totally by accident a while back, but its usefulness is limited. It only works with Messages, for one thing. For another, the length ...

Well yes, but sort of no, you can achieve the same quotation block effect by selecting text, swiping through the options and adding it to a quick note, then that block can be copied and pasted further.

brewc99

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
Canada
This doesn't work for me on ios 17.4.1 with safari on iphone 11. It doesn't include the captured text in the message bubble, just the website link. Any ideas?

nevermind....worked when I tried a different website for some reason.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
niche feature, waste of a menu item. They should have a copy plain text on the top level menu.

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
The same as for iOS.

1) Select the fragment (while in Safari).
2) Click the share button and select Messages.
This is what I came here to say. Thank you. It works across iOS, iPadOS, and macOS. Just highlight the text you want and tap the “sharrow” to choose Messages.

Reactions: IGI2

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
This is a really cool feature!

I have been using iPhones since the iPhone 3GS but it’s amazing that I continue to learn about new features that I’ve never known about, in iOS

I was able to figure out how to do this and I know that I will be using this feature on a regular basis going forward - this will definitely come in handy for me so thank you for posting this article

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.