Resolved Share a WiFi connection over BT or USB

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kar.ma, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Kar.ma, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

Kar.ma macrumors newbie

Kar.ma

I've been searching around for days before asking. I still believe my problem can be solved but I couldn't find out how.

I know this questions are easily misunderstood, so I will try to be as clear as possible, and I'm attaching a diagram too.

Here it is:
    In my office I have a WiFi connection that works well in my iPhone but my notebook is unable to connect to this WiFi network. I'm trying to share iPhone's (WiFi!) internet connection so that my PC can connect to Internet. Is it possible via USB, or via Bluetooth, or via WiFi again (as a repeater)?

[​IMG]

I know it is possible ("tethering") if iPhone would connect in 3G, but it is not my case.

Someone has any suggestion?

2. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

Sorry, I don't know of anything that can do this. Maybe just get a wired connection?

3. Kar.ma thread starter macrumors newbie

Kar.ma

lynkynpark86, thank you for your reply. Unluckily a wired connection is absolutely not possible.

I hope someone else can try to help me. :confused:

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why doesn't your laptop WiFi connect to the office router?

5. Kar.ma, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

Kar.ma thread starter macrumors newbie

Kar.ma

It's not easy to explain. It is a sort of incompatibility, I tried many solutions but none worked, including formatting and reinstalling Windows. I am not the only one with this problem, other collegues (even with Ubuntu) have problems, but luckly my iPhone has no problem. I'm trying to convince by boss to replace or fix the router, but it is unlikely to happen.

That's why I am trying to connect my iPhone to my PC, which would be useful in other situations too.

6. q64ceo macrumors regular

Sorry, not possible for Wifi. It is possible for BlueTooth via MiWi, but Bluetooth range is very limited (most likely 10 feet at most due to the low power nature of the phone.)

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try a USB WiFi dongle, there has to be a reason the router won't allow your laptop to connect. Did your boss lock it down to mac addresses? Is your boss okay with you connecting your laptop?

8. Kar.ma thread starter macrumors newbie

Kar.ma

- a USB WiFi dongle could work, but I haven't one and I thought I could find a different solution taking advantage of my iPhone
    - there is no mac address lock
    - my boss is totally OK with me connecting to this router, he just doesn't want to change any software/hardware configuration or add any wire/cable

Please, tell me more. Bluetooth range is not a problem, if you are talking about the distance between my iPhone and my notebook. Is it possible to use MiWi to share a WiFi connection through Bluetooth? I thought only a 3G (or any other data) connection could be shared, but I cannot be sure.

9. Kyllle macrumors 6502

MyWi works for wifi connections too, if your phone is connected to wifi it will use that, otherwise it uses 3G.

When I first installed it and started browsing the internet on my computer connected to my iPhone's wifi signal, I was amazed at how fast the connection was over 3G. Then I realized MyWi was just using my home wifi instead of 3g.

So yes, I believe MyWi should work. You get a free trial anyways, so if you're already jailbroken it can't hurt to try.

MyWi also has bluetooth tethering if you're only connecting it to 1 computer. It says this uses the least amount of battery.

10. Kar.ma thread starter macrumors newbie

Kar.ma

Thank you very much Kyllle, it seems to work!!!! :)

I installed a trial of MyWi, tried "USB tethering" via WiFi and my notebook (where I needed to install iTunes...) got Internet connection. I'm gonna try it at office tomorrow just to be sure everything is fine.

Well, MyWi is expensive ($20), more than a WiFi USB dongle, but it has the advantage that I can use it anywhere else. I will think about it.

11. Kar.ma, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

Kar.ma thread starter macrumors newbie

Kar.ma

I tried the above solution this morning and everything went fine.
    Thank you again Kyllle and q64ceo!

12. Bubu91 macrumors newbie

sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but i seem to have a similar problem:(

my laptop stopped connecting to the home wifi, but my iphone and ipad have no problem. i had thia problem before with my laptop but managed to fix it with a driver reinstall, but this time no matter what i do it just refuses to connect:(

could someone explain to me how could i resolve this issue using an usb wifi dongle? i can t seem to find the MyWi app in AppStore:(

13. zooba86 macrumors newbie

Its for a jailbroken iphone - so cannot find it in the app store.

Only in the Cydia store which is only accessible via jailbroken iphones