Share built iOS App?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Hello,

I have a potential employer that has asked to if they could have built copies of my iOS apps as a part of my portfolio... does anyone know what the proper way of sharing this would be?

Should I just do archive -> distribute -> ad-hoc (non-enterprise?) Will the ipa file generated be what they're looking for?

Also... I am no longer in the paid iOS dev program.. is that going to cause any issues?

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I should think so. Your certs are no longer valid so you shouldn't be able to distribute to a device.

Ad-hac is one way, but I would just give them a code for a free download if the app is available on the store. I have an active account to do that with.

Just don't give them the source. If they want to see that, they can review it with you in the room.

So, are limiting your self to Mac apps now?

3. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

For now, yes. My existing iOS apps wouldn't make me back the $99 it would cost to put them up on the store, so I haven't renewed yet. If I make a new iOS app that will probably make back the $99, then I'll renew and put it up (along with my old ones.)

My provisioning profiles appear to still be valid until October... I think all that failing to renew caused was me to lose access to make new provisioning profiles and the ability to distribute via the app store.

4. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Would a service like testflight work for you?

5. firewood macrumors 604

Tell them you can't share apps unless they enroll in the iOS dev program. Then let them re-codesign your apps using their certificates (assuming that you trust them, which you should if you're interviewing with them.)

6. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Art, I would strongly suggest checking out Testflight (www.testflightapp.com).
    Basically, you can sign your app with a normal provisioning profile, all you need is them to sign on your "team" on testflight, and have them register their devices to their account. Then you can upload an generated IPA with normal provisioning profile, and they can just press install, and it goes straight to their springboard.
    If you have any questions, you can always ask me :) Our entire iOS team has been using it for months, it's one of the best FREE things we can imagine. Also they have an SDK which allows you to put in "checkpoints", so you can see where your user clicked (a tad like google analytics), and also if it crashes, you can auto mail generated error logs etc. Worth to check out.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

What is a 'normal provisioning profile'? I'd think that he'd have to add each device to a profile via the appropriate online Apple web page, which he shouldn't be able to do if not payed up.

8. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

My excuses sir, a normal provisioning profile I mean, not an distribution one, and I missed the step of him not having his iOS developer paid anymore. Then my explenation is totally not logic, sorry :) (this works only for paid devs).