share connected drive when asleep ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stuartrozier, Aug 5, 2015.

1. stuartrozier macrumors regular

Hello,

i was was wondering if their was a way of sharing a connected usb drive, over the network, even if the mac i asleep.

or if not, if their a way to make it visible, so atleast when i want to access it, the request will wake the mac, so that i can access the drive on the network ?

many thanks in advance,
    stuart

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you check this wake for network access box, the network request should wake the machine and allow access.

But beyond that, no the drive will not be visible when the machine is asleep.

Attached Files:

3. stuartrozier thread starter macrumors regular

as usual you have have come to the rescue, and as usual its appreciated big time weaselboy

4. stuartrozier thread starter macrumors regular

weasel boy, not sure how to send a direct pm, hope its ok to ask this way - in regards to the same question above,
    I'm trying to use the shared external drive (attached to mac mini) across the network as a TM ... have followed the walkthrough no macrumours about sharing the folder, done
    unchecking the SMB, and keep AFP checked only, done
    added users with access to the drive, done....

but still, the drive is showing up on TM, as an available disk to select from 'select disk to use'

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... I did not catch you were trying to use the drive for a Time Machine backup.

To do that you need to need to install OS X server on the target machine.