All iPads share files with iMac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mitstoshi, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mitstoshi macrumors regular

Just got a new iPad Air (a gift). Can anyone provide advices as to sharing files with my late 2012 iMac. Specifically, how to transfer from iMac to iPad ? Thanks in advance!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. csixty4 macrumors regular

Something like Dropbox if you need something like a shared filesystem. If you're just trying to move files back-and-forth, Instashare is what iOS 7's Airdrop should have been.

4. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Could you be more specific as to using DropBox and Airdrop?

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

+1 for instashare.

Also Stratospherix FileBrowser

6. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

How to do Dropbox? Need Apps?

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

dropbox is an app for IOS, pairs with an app for OSx. They create a folder that both sides can see.

Still, a lot depends on what you want to do with the shared files.

8. csixty4 macrumors regular

Dropbox gives you a folder "in the cloud" that your Mac and mobile devices can access. You can even access your files through a web browser and share files with other people.

Instashare uses a direct connection between two devices on the same network to share files. The files aren't stored on a server somewhere, so you don't get the same kind of backup or sharing features. But you don't always need that.

AirDrop is Apple's version of this, but right now it only works from Mac to Mac or from iOS device to iOS device. Instashare bridges this gap so you can share from your iPad to your Mac or vice-versa.

9. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried to download Dropbox on iPad several times without success. It said the app is downloaded but the app does not show up on iPad. Why and how ?

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

You download Dropbox via iTunes, then sync to the iPad.

11. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Which Dropbox to download? There are so many of them in iTunes store?

12. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

13. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it seem to me that everything suggested so far is over complicating the issue.
    If I understand your question correctly you want to transfer some files (music, photos, documents) from your own iMac to your iPad.
    The simplest way to do this is iTunes. It is designed precisely for this purpose.
    Connect the iPad to the Mac and fire-up iTunes and synchronise the files you need to transfer.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Good point. The OP isn't really being clear how he wants to share and what he wants to share.

If you are taking a photo on the iPad, you put it on the Mac via iPhoto.

all of us seem to be assuming he knows far more about the OS/IOS than he does. (not being critical or mean) We know how to use Dropbox and what the limitations are and how Dropbox fits in with the IOS/OSx ecosystem, but the OP probably doesn't. And there's also iCloud to consider.

Perhaps the OP should give us more concrete examples of what he wants to share and how.

15. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I just have the iPad and exposed to iOS for about a week. What I want to do is mainly to transfer files (music, pictures, videos, pdf, etc) from my iMac (late 2013 model) to iPad. As the iPad is new, there are not many files to share with the iMac except the pictures taken by iPad. Please give me step by step instructions. Thanks

16. Wando64 macrumors 6502

All the information you need is provided by Apple on this page:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipad/icloud-itunes/

Scroll down and look at the iTunes section. The process of transferring files to the iPad is referred to as "Syncing"

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

For photos try PhotoSync
    For PDFs either GoodReader or iTunes
    For movies & music use iTunes (it's one way from the iMac to the iPad)

18. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Just to let you know, I have accomplished the tasks I wanted to do when I posted this thread using iTunes. I have not tried iCloud or Dropbox though.

Thanks everyone for the help.

19. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Another option is to use Documents, a free app by Readdle. Opening the app causes the iPad to become visible to your Mac through the network. The Mac recognizes the iPad as a network drive; simply drag and drop files, create folders, and so on. You'll need to initially access the files through Documents, but you can always use the "Open in" function of iOS to shift files to other apps. Documents can also connect to Dropbox. It has easily become a must-have app for my daily usage.

20. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Does iPad and Mac need be connected physically when opening the App?

21. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Never mind the question, I got it after reading the user guide. Thanks Ledgem !