Share folders etc. between accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jardins de Vin, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I have two accounts on my computer, is there a way I can enable sharing so that when I create a folder in one of the account, let's say on the desktop, it would appear on the other's account desktop as well?

I tried this with the sharing option in System preferences but it didn't work.

Basically I want some folders/places to act as if they were one on both accounts. :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is already an accommodation for sharing files between accounts. Go to /Users/Shared. Anything put in that folder will be shared between accounts on your computer.

OS X Yosemite: Share files with others who use your Mac

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I'm aware of that folder, but that's quite unpractical as I have to get to that folder (even if I put it in the dock or Finder sidebar), unlike the Desktop for example.

Also, this only works with this one folder. But I need this for more than just one folder/place and having all these things in only one folder would create a big mess. Moving them from this shared folder to another folder afterwards is too time consuming too.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, putting it in the Dock would make it more accessible than the Desktop, which could be covered by app windows.
    Did you read the linked article for other methods? You could also leave shared items in the Shared folder, rather than moving them to other folders. There are several methods of handling this. You just have to decide which one works best for you.

5. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I never use full screen mode (or have my windows set to 100%) and I'd prefer having them on the desktop actually. :) I move those files quickly and don't want to open folders in the dock. Trust me, I know what's the best workflow for me! :)

Yes, but:

I have, and that's what I tried before (see my first post), but it didn't work.
    What I did was basically go to the Sharing options in the System Preferences, then select a folder (or place, like the Desktop) I'd like to share with my other account. I selected that folder, and added both users to the list of allowed people for this folder. I set them both to "read and write". But it didn't work. :( I have no idea why.

Edit:

Okay, it worked, but not the way I actually hoped it would work. I thought if I created a folder on the desktop, it would appear on the desktop of the other account. Instead, I had to go into Users > Name > Desktop to see that new folder. Is there no way to make it act as if it was one desktop?

What about creating other shared folders? Is there a way of doing this? The idea is good, but I would need more of them and in different places. :) That would be perfect actually.

6. Taz Mangus, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You could create a new folder under /Users/Shared. Right click on the newly create folder, select "Make Alias" and drag the alias to the desktop of each user account. Now when you move/write items to that aliased folder each user account will have access to the items directly from the account desktop.

7. dyt1983, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.