Share huge files online? (15gb)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DaSal, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DaSal macrumors regular

I'm looking for a service, app, or... Well, way, to share huge files online. I'm talking around 15gb.

I realize such a thing may well not exist, but I thought I'd ask anyway :)!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Buy a NAS with WebDAV support i.e. Synology
    Hope you have large internet caps & bandwidth.

3. borisiii macrumors 6502

I have used windows live mesh to share ~3GB files before. Basically you download the app (mac/win), create a windows live ID, and then create a folder on your mac containing the files you want to host, and configure it to 'sync'.

The intended use is for collaboration (the folder is automatically synced across all configured computers each time a change is made) but it works well for hosting large files too. You can download them from any computer by signing into windows live from a browser. To share with other people just get them to download mesh, then you can share your synced folder with them (with or without write permission) so they can access the files from their computer too.

It's all free so it's definitely worth giving it a go to see if it meets your needs.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

15gb!

My webhost offer unlimited (or "near enough" as they call it) and I've shared files from 9-12gb in the past using those. But then again I have a 10mbps upload speed and unlimited bandwidth/cap so its all good!

But if the client has a bad connection then I'll just mail out a DVD or Bluray.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

With files that size you may be better off setting up FTP or VPN, something along those lines rather than relying on a commercial service

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Maybe you could use dropbox and get one of their paying services (up to 100GB): http://www.dropbox.com/pricing

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

if it will be widely shared, why not something p2p like uTorrent?

8. DaSal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, this is what I ended up using. I forgot Dropbox started at 50GB. I had in my mind that the premium option gave you 10GBs of storage space.