share imac internet with ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by egghead1993, Aug 19, 2008.

1. egghead1993 macrumors newbie

hi,

i go into the system preferences and turn on 'internet sharing' and i have the security turned off.

i ten turn the wifi on on the ipod touch and it finds the iMac, and connects, but when i go into safari it tells me it can't find the sever. if i click on the internet connection in the ipod touch it only has the ip address and the subnet mask filed out .

this is really starting to bug me now, i've had this touch for 3 months had haven't been able to connect to the internet

thanks for your help'

matt

2. jsook724 macrumors regular

i have a similar problem
    the internet in my house is great but when im in my room i barely get a signal and it is slow, but on my computer i get all five bars in airport.(i have a mac)
    and when i go into sharing and turn internet sharing on it does the same thing thats hapening 2 u

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If your Mac is already using its Airport to obtain its own Internet connection, then Internet Sharing would only be useful if you wanted to create a subnetwork from your Mac's Ethernet port to computer(s) that are wired to it (either directly, or via a hub or switch).

That doesn't apply in the case of getting the Internet to show up on your iPod Touch. It should be connecting directly to the same wireless base station as your Mac already is already connected to. If the iPod Touch is showing lower bars when it connects this way, then that might be indicative of a lower power antenna/transceiver in the iPod Touch compared to the antenna/transceiver you have in your Mac.

It may also be indicative of a firmware bug in the iPod Touch, but that is somewhat more unlikely.