Share internet connection TO wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aaronrstewart, Jun 8, 2009.

1. aaronrstewart macrumors newbie

Quick question, I've got a mac pro and a Linksys Wireless N Router. I've got my cable modem hooked up at the moment directly to my Mac Pro. I was wondering if there was a way to share my internet connection on my other connection to the router? In other words, internet comes into the Mac Pro, shares with the wireless router, which broadcasts it to a third computer.

So far I can connect to the router, but no internet is piping through, even though it is shared on my mac pro, and the internet light is blinking on my router like it is receiving it. Anything I am missing?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Is there a specific reason why you want to do this? (e.g. the router is set up in a different room)

If you must do this, go into System Preferences --> Sharing and enable Internet Sharing. Here, you can tell it to share from the Mac Pro's Ethernet port to an Airport (router). In theory, that should work.

However, network performance might suffer a bit using this method. If anything, I'd get an Airport card installed in your Mac Pro.

3. aaronrstewart thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. Mainly I was trying this out as a quick fix... awhile back Comcast changed something, and now my wireless router will not work when hooking up to my modem. The router *seems* to work fine, however, I've obviously done the whole "Share Ethernet 1 with Ethernet 2" thing, and it didn't work, so I was just making sure there wasn't an extra step I had to take. Right now I'm suspecting I'm going to have to reset the router and start all over, which is what I was avoiding doing.

My usual setup is... Modem to Wireless Router to Mac Pro (via ethernet) and other computer via wireless.

Probably end up resetting the router and trying that. I find it odd that the router itself seems fine, and I can totally connect to the router with no problems as before, all the status lights blink properly and everything, but it just can't seem to get the internet piping through it anymore. I have a hard time believing that this part of the router up and died, but I suppose it is a possibility.

Thanks for the answer.

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Check the configuration of the router and make sure it is cloning the MAC address of your Mac Pro. This way the router will look like it is the Mac Pro as far as the modem is concerned. This might be the issue.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

^ I can verify this. All internet providers do this to limit ways for you to connect to the internet. Kinda stupid really.

6. thedini macrumors newbie

Same sorta issue

So... I have sorta the same thing. Only different. I have a macbook pro last gen. I get my internet at work (on a ship) with a verizon wireless USB modem. I got rid of the verizon software and configured it myself and now use it like that. i would like to use my Netgear RangeMax router to take this internet and boost the wireless signal. Since I can't flash the firmware on teh router to make it a repeater for the shared signal i can turn on from my mac i tried to share the ethernet.

I am not having much luck with that. Anyone have an idea how to configure OSx 10.5.7 to do that. I have tried assigning IPs and can't set up my own DNS. I shouldn't need OSx Server should I? I was hoping to just plug it in and go...

Thanks Guys!!

7. aaronrstewart thread starter macrumors newbie

Good thoughts, I'll try that when I get the chance... Thanks!