Share internet from ethernet to wireless router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bowens, Jan 21, 2008.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have an Intel Mini and a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. I am borrowing a wireless network from next door (with permission) and I can receive it on my Mini but not on my DS and Wii. I would like to be able to share the wireless connection out through the ethernet on my Mini to the Linksys then use it to send it out to the rest of the house. I tried for a while Saturday and couldn't get it to work. I set up the Mini so share the connection through ethernet then turned off DHCP on the Linksys so it wouldn't hand out IP addresses, but every time I plugged the ethernet in the Mini would pull an IP from the Linksys instead of the wireless network. What am I doing wrong?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What IP is your mini getting on the ethernet interface? I think when doing sharing, it will automatically assign itself an IP on the ethernet interface (and the airport interface gets an IP from the DHCP server on the wireless network).

You should be able to disable DHCP on the router (sounds like you already did). And plug the Mini into one of the 4 switched ports on the back of the router, NOT the WAN port. You need to do it that way since the Linksys router is going to be an access point and not a router.

If, for some reason, that doesn't work, you should be able to re-enable DHCP and plug the Mini into the router's WAN port. The router will get an IP from your Mini, and then will assign out IPs to your DS and Wii. This should work, the only problems you may have would be with accessing network shares on your Mini since they'll be in different networks.

3. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I thought I tried both of those and no luck. Maybe I just need to keep playing with it until it does work. When the ethernet was not hooked up the airport was showing an IP address. Then when I hooked the ethernet up, airport would say it was connected but not show an IP. Ethernet would have an IP and say it was connected to the internet.