Share internet from iphone to router

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by newtoiphonesdk, Jan 17, 2011.

1. newtoiphonesdk macrumors 6502a

Let me try to explain fully what I need. I am poor, and therefore, don't have internet at home, except the iPhone's. I am jail broke, and I have MyWi 4.0. I also have an Apple TV. Since I have no internet, the general setup for the Apple TV has taken place my connecting iphone to computer with mywi running, and sharing internet from iPhone USB to Airport, due to the Apple tV not being able to connect to ad-hoc networks.

The only problem with this setup, is that if the computer is shut down, nothing on the apple tv can work, not even airplay. I want to set it up sharing internet from my iphone to a netgear router I have. This way, if I take the computer somewhere while the rest of the family is at home, they can at least still connect their iPhone or iPad to the network, and airplay videos from there to the apple tv.

I have hooked up the router, gone to sharing, and told it to share from iphone usb to ethernet, but it won't work. I do this, and there is no way to connect to the internet from the router. Can someone help me out with a guide on how to share my iphone usb connection to the router hooked up via ethernet?

2. AshMan macrumors regular

what kind of router is it?

If it is one that can use dd-wrt custom firmware you may be able to set it up as a repeater or repeater bridge to allow the router to wirelessly repeat the iphone signal from mywi to the lan ports and via wifi.

I have set it up before to repeat a wireless router signal to extend range of my wireless network, so in theory it should work.. but it all depends on your wireless router and if you are able to install and configure dd-wrt.

Alon

3. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. AshMan macrumors regular

try searching dd-wrt.com

there is a lot of information there and a good wiki with information on your router and if it is possible...

I have only done mine with a linksys router. I have a drink router as well but it is not compatible with dd-wrt so I use it strictly as an access point for other purposes.

but my linksys units, out of the 3 I have all were able to work great with dd-wrt...

Check into it...

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You're poor, and thus can't afford $30/month for internet, but you can afford much more in a 2-yr contract for an iPhone? Just saying... Not a criticism, just a comment. Everyone's priorities are different.

You could also look into Tomato. It's like DD-WRT but a little easier to use (and is different, so it may support some routers that DD-WRT doesn't).

6. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got the iPhones at Oklahoma Christian university as part of tuition. Have upgraded every year by jailbreaking an unlocking old model and selling on eBay. My work pays for the cost of the voice and data plans, so yes I can afford it

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Awesome. Like I said, no criticism. It's pretty sweet to get an iPhone that way.

Any luck with finding a compatible custom firmware?

8. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm an app dev with Apple iOS program, so I used the 4.2b3 jailbreak monte option on redsn0w, and that's about all I've messed with recently.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I meant a custom firmware for your router. (DD-WRT or Tomato)

10. Edgg macrumors newbie

Share mywi with router

The only Internet access I have when camping is mywi on my jail broken iPad. I need to share the signal with my router, a Linksys WRT160N, I have already installed the DD-wrt firmware on it. I just need to know how to set it up to receive the Mywi signal.

Thanks for any help.