Share Internet to time capsule and extend wifi

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cemd, May 27, 2010.

1. cemd macrumors newbie

Hi,
    after reading a lot manuals and threads I'm now completely lost and can't get it run.

This is what I'd like to do:
    1. I have Linksys router set up as wifi hotspot
    2. My iMac accesses internet via wifi via linksys
    3. I'd like to hook time capsule via ethernet cable to my imac
    4. i want time capsule to use my iMac's internet but extend at the same time the wifi internet access

a. Can I backup from iMac to time capsule via ethernet?
    b. Which settings I have to do on my iMac and which on time capsule to get my scenario run ?

Thanks.
    Cem

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What do you mean share it to the internet? Do you want the whole world to see your backups?

3. cemd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    no :)

I want time capsule to use my iMacs internet (have activated Internet sharing on iMac for that purpose) but want at the same time time capsule to create a new wifi network to which I can connect with iphone and other laptop.

Somehow it works now with the iphone but the laptop does not retrieve an IP adress ( IP type is 192.168.x.x).

But I miss the overall logic of how to do it, I did too many try and error :rolleyes:

Thanks for any hints.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OK, so your iMac needs to be set to share your Airport connection over the Ethernet point, and connect the Ethernet cable from the iMac to the Time Capsule's WAN port (it has the round gear type symbol above it).

Make sure the Time Capsule is just set up DHCP (the default), and configure it in Bridge Mode (don't distribute a range of IP addresses). That last part isn't strictly necessary, but will make it possible to do file sharing, etc, with other machines on the original network much more easily.

That should allow you to do what you're talking about. I'm not sure why you don't just replace the Linksys with the Time Capsule, or set it up as a WPS client (extending the network), unless of course you don't have admin access to the Linksys router.

jW

5. cemd thread starter macrumors newbie

Mal,
    thanks, will try soon.

How would I need to set it up to extend the wifi but still connected time capsule via ethernet to my iMac ?

I have admin, the issue is location of router and iMac and other devices.

thx a lot.

Cem

PS: I did some screenshots as I'm not sure what you mean by Bridge on, what I think I set. Hope it's allowed with the pics :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cemd thread starter macrumors newbie

final check if someone has a hint for me :eek:

Thanks