Share IP address or bridge mode?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nj908, Oct 10, 2012.

1. nj908 macrumors newbie

Recently I had a problem with my Airport Express. There was a problem in my area with my ISP, so everything restarted. My network recommended I use bridge mode, which disabled my wireless internet connection. I switched to "share an IP address" and I have wireless again. Is this safe? Thank you very much :D.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

An ISP sells a customer one (1) IP, that's all!

In an Apple Airport "Bridged Mode" in real life just means the Apple wireless device is NOT doing NAT (Network Address Translation). So just one (1) IP comes out your ISP modem. So a router after that HAS To do NAT (translating Private IPs to Public IPs).In an Apple wireless setup to "Share an IP" means the router will be doing NAT.

So your wireless should be setup as

1. IPS Modem to your router's WAN (Wide Area Network) port. Then turn off power to the modem for at least 3 minutes. This will cause the ISP to look for a new MAC Address that is connected to the modem.

2. Make sure you set up the router to ISPs setup the instruct for the WAN Port (DHCP, Static or PPPoE) to get an IP from the ISP (Internet Service Provider).

3. Then while still in router configuration setup your LAN (Local Area Network) Ip range for the DHCP setup (for wired router and wireless routers).