Share iPhoto Library Between Users

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpeepers, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

Hi everyone, as mentioned before, I'm a brand new Mac convert... So keep that in mind when responding. :)

Ok, I figured out how to share my iTunes library and that was fairly, but I tried to apply that same methodology behind sharing the iPhoto library between users on my local computer. It doesn't work.

iTunes method involved basically moving the library to the SHARED folder. But iPhoto doesn't work that way.

Is there a way to easily share my iPhoto library with users on my computer?

Thx!

M

PS: I did search before asking but couldn't find anything specific enough for me. :(

2. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Hello, I am a new mac user as well, the way that I did the Iphoto library is as follow:

Create Picture folder in your share folder. after this dump all you pictures in that folder. under iphoto preferences make sure you uncheck the option where is states not to export photos to the iphoto library. I wish i was in front of my mac so that i could give you the exact menu name.

I do know for a fact that there is a option to leave the photos where they at instead of importing them into the iphoto library. Hope this helps.

3. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing I've noticed about the mac. When I copied all my pictures over from my PC I just added them to the pictures folder. Then I opened iPhoto and imported them all, but I didn't realize until later that those photos sitting there aren't needed anymore because iPhoto has cateloged them in its library.

So I deleted the photos from the Pictures folder because I didn't need them duplicated.

I am not sure your method would work because, correct me if I am wrong, you have just duplicated the photos on your harddrive, essentially.

Right?

4. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

wow, I'm surprised. I would think this would be a common question/request people would have...

5. hekhl00 macrumors newbie

hold down the Option key while starting iPhoto...it will then ask you where to point the application.....point it to users/shared (assuming that's where you put it)

6. pcorajr macrumors 6502

go into the preference in iphoto

[​IMG]

then un-check where it says " Copy items to the iPhoto Library"

that will import your pics into iphoto but leave them where they at.