share iTunes library across multiple accounts, one iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buffalo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

I am trying to set up my new iMac such that multiple accounts will use the same iTunes library and changes / additions to the library on one account will be reflected on the others. Could I get some help? I was not successful on my own, and the suggestion of an Apple Store employee that I asked also did not work.

Thanks!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd suggest moving the iTunes Library to the Shared Users folder (Macintosh HD > Users > Shared)

After you move the library, check that all users have permissions to write to it. Right-click on the library (in the new location), Get Info, and at the bottom, make sure everyone has the permissions to read and write.

Then logon to each of the users account, hold down the OPTION key as you launch iTunes, click Choose Library, and point it to the iTunes Library that you moved to the Shared folder.

IIRC, only one user can have iTunes open at a time. If you use Fast User switching and have problems, make sure the users logged on don't also have iTunes open.

3. WlLKO macrumors newbie

Here is what you do!

OK I have just done this myself.

Go to iTunes Preferences.

Then go to Advanced,
    At the top it should have library folder location, click CHANGE

Then go through to the user with the iTunes library you want and open the music folder then open the itunes folder,

Then click open.

You should be done after that.
    ENJOY!

Wilko :apple:
    ;-)

4. schmidbc macrumors newbie

Shared iTunes Library

Okay, I've taken all the steps above and authorized the computer on both accounts for her iTunes Purchaes and mine. However, I added a song through iTunes on my side and when I check iTunes on her account, the new song wasn't there. Am I missing a step?

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I believe the answer is no . . . this method of sharing an iTunes library (as do all the others) does not update the xml file containing the database listing of songs, ratings, playlists, etc.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

To add to Le Big Mac, remember that there are two parts to iTunes:

1 - the folders that have all of the music in them
    2 - the folder that has all of the iTunes config files in them

It sounds like you've setup your (and her) iTunes to use the shared folders with music in them, but it still sounds like you guys are each using your own individual folders with the iTunes config data.

When you add a new song to iTunes, in addition to copying the song out the disk, it updates the iTunes config stuff with info about that song. That's probably why your iTunes is aware of the new song, but hers isn't.

I'm not sure of the best way to take it from where you're at it, but here's my recommendation. Someone else may come along with a better one.

Look in your Music folder and copy the iTunes folder to a new location where both you and she get get to it.

Close your iTunes, then hold down the OPTION button and re-open it. It should ask you to Create a Library or Chose a Library. Click "Chose a Library" and point it to the location of where you just copied the iTunes folder to.

Do the "Chose a Library" on her iTunes, so it points to the same place yours does. Then regardless of who adds a song, since you both are using the same config files, it should show up for both of you.

Hopefully that gets you going. :)

7. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Fully agree . . . all it needs to support is having separate config/plist files reading from the same database.

It seems that if the database is all on the same subnet, then the piracy concerns should be minimal. If necessary, I'll bet it's not hard to limit simultaneous connections to, say, 5.