share macbook wireless with iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Jan 23, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey

i don't get wireless or edge in my dorm(wtf, i'm in the middle of boston). is there a way to share an ethernet connection over airport to the iphone?

thanks

2. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

yea all you need to do is get an airport express. it plugs in to the wall and you hook up your ethernet, speakers and printer to it, and they all work wirelessly from there. you can even set a password so people don't rip you of ur internet. it costs like $120 i think but its totally worth it to have ur laptop run totally wirelessly especially in dorms.

3. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, i know that's an option. i might as well just get a cheapy router if i wanted to do that.

is there any way i can use the macbook pro's internal wireless to do this?

4. falsecathedrals macrumors member

if you have a hardwired connection to the internet you can broadcast the internet over your wireless card to the iphone or any other computer with a wireless card.
    go to system preferences, go to sharing and then turn on your internet sharing. you can also set a password on the network to stop people from stealing your bandwidth.

5. triddent222 macrumors regular

If you're using Leopard:

Open System Preferences > Sharing > Check Internet Sharing.

On "Share your connection from" pick "Ethernet" if it's not already selected, then select "AirPort" on the "To Computers using:" box.

I don't know if you also have to create a wireless network (click on the AirPort icon on the menu bar, then Create Network) or not, but that should get you on the right direction.

On Tiger, it should be the same thing, just instead of a list with all the Services, you have to click the "Internet" tab on the Sharing Preference Pane.

EDIT: falsecathedral beat me to it >.<...

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahh.... i had to do the 'create network' step... i had tried the other stuff to no avail

7. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

More on this

I set up my airport to share the connection, although I do not see an option to "create network." Where is this located? It wasn't listed under my airport menu bar icon.

When I go to WiFi settings on my iPhone, the wireless connection I normally use shows up with full reception in black, and I can use it. My iPhone sees my computer and gets reception, although the WiFi symbol next to my computer name is blue. I can click it and a check mark appears, although my phone does not switch from edge to WiFi.

What am I missing here?

BTW, I am running leopard.

Edit: Fixed. I was forgetting that my firewall would not allow it.

8. ay98182 macrumors member

I just saw this thread and decided to try it out in my university accommodation - it works!!

I have a couple of questions though.

My backward/cheap university does not have a wireless network and doesn't allow us to set up one of our own (every device connected to their ethernet network must be approved by the IT guys - people actually have to lug their desktop computers to the IT office! - and they would never approve a wireless router). Now, all's well and good when I'm working at my desk, but sometimes I want to lounge around in bed and surf the net and can't really do that with my iMac!

So, using the procedure above, I've connected my iPhone to the iMac and everything works perfectly (and the network is password protected). I just have one reservation. Considering how protective they are of their network, I'm concerned that they'll find out I'm doing this. Will they be able to tell that I'm sharing my hardwired internet connection using WiFi with another device? Will it show up on their logs etc?? I read this on another forum:

"This is a great feature, however, it's important to be aware that activating this while plugged into certain networks can cause problems. For example, if you do this at your university, the network might see the Mac as a rogue DHCP server and it could "bring down the network.""

Is this true?

Presumably if the IT guys are wandering around and scanning for WiFi they'll be able to see the new network, but it's highly unlikely since a.) their offices are far away b.) the network stops working only a few steps away from my room - so my main concern is if the additional device is somehow registered on their computers through the ethernet on my iMac, and, if so, how noticeable is it? I mean, is it the kind of thing that would set of alarm bells in headquarters, or will they only notice it if they look closely?

My last question is why doesn't my iMac's WiFi signal work better? I didn't expect it to work as well as an Airport router, but I'd have thought that my friend two doors away would be able to access it!

Any comments from people more knowledgeable in this area would be greatly appreciated!

9. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont think its meant to broadcast very far... i tried using meebo about 3 feet from the laptop and the connection cut out frequently. i wish i had EDGE in here... i dont understand why i don't. on my old phone i had a full 3G signal, so i'd assume edge would work great.

10. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I work in IT at a university so I've got some knowledge of how this all works. As long as you are the only one using your AD-HOC, they won't be able to tell. If they really really wanted to, they probably could, but more than likely they won't. Where I work, we don't support wireless routers because of the DHCP problem, but you only run into that when people run numerous computers from one router, and usually set the router up wrong.

Plus, I'm not sure how big the campus is, but here we don't have the time to walk around like that! If you are worried about it, just switch it off when you aren't using it.

11. littleboyz90 macrumors newbie

is it possible to use that method so you can wirelessly connect your iphone to the internet? :rolleyes::eek::D:apple:

12. willpearson macrumors newbie

working on ipod but not vaio

This sounds really useful. I can get it to work fine to share my macbook's internet with my ipod touch. That works fine. But although this works, my sony vaio will not connect to this network. It sees the wireless network with good signal but when I try to connect it says:
    "windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again"

Needless to say, refreshing doesn't help and it's not a problem of range.

Any ideas anyone - this would be so great to share my internet in this way!!

13. krazykid586 macrumors newbie

minus the hardwire?

Is it possible to broadcast internet off of a macbook even if the computer is connected by WiFi, not a hardwire connection? In other words, the computer gets the WiFi, but the iPod doesnt, so can I make the connection broadcast to the ipod?

14. jingga macrumors newbie

how to share macbook internet to iphone?

i wanted to share my macbook pro's internet connection to my iphone 3gs but no luck. i did turn on internet sharing but still cannot connect my iphone to the internet. pls help..

15. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Sounds like you've found an option that works for you, but you can do what we used to do under the same rules: Take your desktop down and register it, and then clone the desktop's MAC address with the router. Bingo! You're all set.