Share Macbook's WiFi connection with iOS device

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by moonman239, Aug 9, 2014.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Hello everyone,

I am currently staying at a hotel that has WiFi. My MacBook can see multiple WiFi hotspots in the area, but my iPhone can't see any. It may be because the MacBook's WiFi adapter is better than the one in my iPhone. Anyway, I want to access the Internet on my iPhone without using cellular data, and it seems like the only way to do that is to have my Mac share its WiFi connection with the phone.

Please help me, and thank you for your help!

Sincerely,
    Montana

2. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The Bluetooth sharing works with iPad but not iPhone.

Not sure if it's possible to share a WiFi connection with an iPhone via USB, but it's not possible to do so via Bluetooth. That capability was omitted from the iPhone firmware.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Try reboot your iPhone first. If your iPhone can't get any signal, you MacBook should has very poor connection as well. If not, there is something wrong.

I had plenty of overnight in different hotels, it happen to me sometimes as well. Usually a reboot can solve the problem.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I have run into situations lately where the iphone will not do the hotspot, when I KNOW it should work fine.

Doing a RESET NETWORK on phone seems to fix it. I know this is different than the original question, but it might fix the iphone.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Not an immediate solution...but in the future you could get a mac-compatible usb wifi dongle and share your connection via that.

7. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

This will do the tricks as well, but it will clear all your network setting (e.g. stored wifi password), so, use it carefully.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

How would that be different than the WIFI built into the MAC? It still operates via the MAC software.

Not saying it would not, but just thinking (and it hurts).

9. NoBoMac, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing?

Configure as required, then turn it on.