Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phoenix Fire

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
Hi, I am using a 27" mid 2010 iMac as target display of my MacBook. I connected to the MacBook my extended magic keyboard an Magic Mouse 2. There is a way to connect them also to the iMac? I want to have devices that switch to the iMac when I disable target display mode or disconnect the mini-db cable

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi, I am using a 27" mid 2010 iMac as target display of my MacBook. I connected to the MacBook my extended magic keyboard an Magic Mouse 2. There is a way to connect them also to the iMac? I want to have devices that switch to the iMac when I disable target display mode or disconnect the mini-db cable

Spend 7$ to buy a USB PC keyboards. That's what I did.

Phoenix Fire

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
But I remember, if you only use the Imac 27" in Target Display Mode, why do you need a keyboard for it?
My main use of the iMac is as TDM, but I want to repair it to use as second machine. Moreover, I need to shut down it at night, thus share keyboard and mouse with the main Mac can be very usefull
You need a keyboard to turn on TDM, no?
Fortunately it is not required. I need only to attach the cable to my MacBook and the iMac automatically sitch to TDM

Phoenix Fire

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
Great news! And TDM still work with the faulty card inside?
The strange fact is that now the GPU is apparently working good, I can use the iMac normally, although I only open safari once to get a guide and configure some things. At the beginning of the installation of MacOS, some times it boot up with gpu problems, I shutdown and retry and then it works. Since I started using it with TDM I have not any GPU errors at boot, thus I can be sure that I can use TDM when it happened

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

It's probably worth checking out Synergy:

Alternatively, some Logitech keyboards and mice - particularly the MX range - will pair with up to 3 computers (either using Bluetooth or Logitech's USB dongles) and switch between them with a button on the mouse/keyboard (...they also have their own Synergy-like auto-switching "flow" software but I wouldn't count on that running on an old iMac).

...pity if you've got the Magic Extended Keyboard which is expensive and reasonably nice, but I'd replace the abomination that is the Magic Mouse with an MX at the drop of a hat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.