share opinions about solution on "how to make iMovie HD delete deleted data"

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cox Orange, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Cox Orange, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hello,

Problem description: in iMovie HD 5 and onwards, the file size stays the same no matter how much you delete in your project and no matter if you empty the trash. (added the underlined after first response)

Solution:
    1. cut, edit, delete etc. all you want in your current project.
    2. save
    3. close project
    4. start a new project (without importing footage yet!)
    5. move the project window a bit to the side
    6. highlight your original projects icon and press ctrl+mouse-click, a menue opens, choose "show package content"
    7. go to the folder "cache", drag the file named "timeline" (its about 8kb big) to the project window of your new project and drop.
    8. the new project will now import only the data minus the before deleted files. It will "produce" a new .dv file in the media folder (footage folder). you can prove that by press-clicking ctrl+mouse-click on the new project icon -> show "package content", go to "media" and "cache" you will find the timeline file and a .dv file called "timeline.dv" in the media folder (which will be smaller in size than the uncut footage/project).

My experience: it works :)

My question: is this really a proof way? Will we have a 1:1 copy of the DV-file minus the deleted parts? Will the data not be corrupted? Will the timecode (with audio) be totally intact?
    I do not have those tools you might need to check if everything is ok, I can just tell from the eye that it seems to be alright.

What do you say?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Much Easier Way

For iMovie6 HD:

Problem description: in iMovie6 HD the file size stays the same no matter how much you delete in your project.

Correct...until you empty the trash.

Solution:
    1. cut, edit, delete etc. all you want in your current project.
    2. save
    3. click on the Trash icon(bottom right hand corner of iMovie window)
    4. empty trash.

3. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

oh, ok, then they changed it. Good to know. I did not came across the info, that this "problem" only concerns Version 5, when I was searching the internet. It was said, that it was a decision by the apple programmers to do it the way it is in iMovie HD 5.

I know from earlier versions of iMovie (before 5) that if you deleted somethign and then emptied the trash, that it said "this will cause to move ...GB of files". Then it calculated a while and a blue bar progressed. After the process the file was smaller.

If you empty the trash in iMovie HD 5, it stays as big as before!

Could someone who uses Version 5 however tell me if the file is a 1:1 copy with the process I described above? (if someone happened to know).

4. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

problem seems to be version 5 only.

Anyone something to say about it?