Share OS X internet connection to OS 9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Me1000, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Ok,

so I am playing around with my old PowerMac G3 B&W.
    I just installed a clean install of OS9.2

I get my internet through wifi on my MBP, but then I have an ethernet cable connecting my MBP to the G3.

I went to sys prefs and enabled Internet Sharing.

I set it to "Share your connection from: AirPort"
    "To computers using: Ethernet"

Then on OS9 under the TCP/IP settings I have "connect via : Ethernet" and "Configure: Using DHCP Server"

DHCP Client ID: is blank,
    ip address is 169.254.117.108
    subnet is 255.255.0.0
    router: 168.254.177.208
    name sever: 244.9.9.251

When i try to get to the internet via internet exploder in OS9 though it says, "the attempt to load 'accessing URL: http://google.com/' failed."

Can someone guide me through how to do this?

Thanks,

2. martychang macrumors regular

I don't have experience with this or OS9, but it's got a 169.254.x.x address, which means it's not getting an IP address(169.254.blah is the address range used by autoconf services when it can't find a DHCP server, I don't see the point since the autoconf addresses never seem to work on the internet).

Since there's no router between you you probably need DHCP Server software on your MBP.

3. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

it doesnt have to be assigned dynamically though,
    I would be more than content using manually assigned addresses, which Im sure I might have to do.

I just dont know where to look to find them

4. martychang macrumors regular

How does your MBP get an IP address? From a wifi router? If so, take a look at your MBP's current IP information, or better yet try poking around your router's configuration interface for what IPs are currently assigned. Just assign a manual address to the G3 that's unique but on the same subnet.

i.e. if your MBP is 192.168.1.12, try making the G3 192.168.1.15, or 13 or 14 or whatever, as long as no other device on the network has it.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To drive home martychang's point, why are you trying to use your laptap to to provide connectivity to your desktop computer? I assume that your MacBook Pro gets its Wi-Fi signal from your router. Instead of running the Ethernet cable from the laptop to your G3, run it from your router to the G3. Your life will be so-o-o much simpler.

6. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

because the router is under me, and it is too much of a pain to run a cable from downstairs to this room for something that I wont be using on a regular basis