Share save games on PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 9, 2010.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Is it possible to share a save game file from one PS3 user to another? I played HL2 on my iMac a year or two ago but didn't beat it. Got the Orange Box for PS3, mainly for Portal, but figured I'd give Episode's 1 and 2 a look. I have no desire to play back through the first half of HL2 again, so I was wondering if it's possible to get a save game from someone else that puts me at least pretty close to where I was at? I had finished up the tedious water vehicle level and was at the Black Mesa location, as I recall... so maybe halfway through the game or a little less, judging by the table of contents of a walkthrough site.

Thanks for any help!

2. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Awesome, outsmarted by a Google search. Duh. Thanks!!!

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unfortunately some PS3 save games are copy protected and hence can't be shared between consoles. Its quite irksome to be honest. I have 3 PS3's and cant share game saves like Dragon Age between systems as they seem to think sharing game saves will adovate piracy ? Really quite illogical and awkward.

4. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber

It's not for piracy, it's to prevent cheaters, or gaining trophies they have not worked towards, especially when the one takes into account the online modes available. If one was able to share Demon's Souls saves, shoot, id download someone with soul level 712, and kick ass in PvP.

Still, I think its annoying....its your damn save file, and it would be nice to be able to back it up or move between consoles.

(Side note, I abhore trophies and achievements. Id rather get a real bowling trophy for racing IRL....like I already do. I don't need a damn virtual trophy....)

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

According to EA who are the main implementers of save protection it was indeed to prevent Piracy. Afterall why would a game like Dragon Age which has no multiplayer online component?

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, GmeFAQS had HL2 saves, so I assume that means they will work... so I again appreciate the help.

I agree that copy protecting the saves is a little silly, but on the other hand if it keeps people from getting "unearned" trophies/achievements then I suppose I see the point.

7. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I have no clue, but I would love to see that comment by EA. If you know a tad about piracy on some of the older consoles or handhelds, some save games have led to the ability to pirate games due to allowing code to be run through a hacked save.

Warning: Opinion ahead
    If it really were to prevent piracy, I ASSUME Sony would have locked ALL save transfer abilities.