"Share Screen" with .Mac login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trepex, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Hey folks,

I'm having a weird issue with the "Share Screen" functionality in Leopard. If I try to log into my GF's MBP, it prompts me for a username/password and if I happen to type in our .Mac account login credentials (me@mac.com / pass) it works and I can instantly see her screen (don't get me started on why I don't think this is secure!!!)

If she tries to "Share Screen" into my MBP, it prompts for a user/pass and only local accounts work. If she tries the .Mac account login, it just rejects it. We both have .Mac configured / enabled in the sysprefs and we seem to have the same sharing options configured.

I'm actually more trying to disable it on her machine rather than allow that functionality on mine... either way I'd like to understand what's going on though.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Trepex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trepex

3. LetsGoMets macrumors newbie

I have had problems with screen sharing thus far. I am can "see" the other computer on the sidebar, and can find their public folder and share documents... but the screen share does not allow me to connect.

I am prompted for user/password, but I cannot find the right combination to unlock (although I am certain of all possible combinations!). I admit that I have not tried the .mac user and password... interesting. Will do that tonight.

4. Trepex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Any developments, LetsGoMets?

5. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Is one of the computers running Tiger? If so it seems as though no combination will work and you have to gain access through asking and receiving permission.

As far as the .mac login working. Check and recheck all preferences. I know you can gain access using any user that is on the computer (perhaps you have more than one user on her computer and one of them is the same your .mac id and pw)...just a guess.

6. Trepex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trepex

OMG I just figured it out!!!

You need to login as you@mac.com but use the COMPUTER'S password and not the .mac account password.

My GF and I share a .Mac account and the account is the same as her PC password. When I would login to her computer, I logged in as me@mac.com with the .Mac password and it worked. But, when I got her to log into my machine, she would login using the came combo and get rejected. As soon as she logs in using me@mac.com but using my laptop's password instead of the .mac one, POOF, it works!

Perhaps this was oversight on my part, but it really didn't seem all that intuitive to me that one would login using the .mac account but the password of the destination machine...