Share USB Hard Drive over AirPort Extreme Network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Feb 8, 2012.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I have a USB External Hard Drive that I would like to share over my network by directly plugging the USB cable into the USB slot, in the back of the AirPort Extreme device. So far, no luck. This method worked fine with 10.5 but I haven't been able to solve the problem in 10.6 yet. I've done numerous searches but haven't found the solution that works for me. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

I guess you already have looked at AirPort Utility > AEBS > Manual Setup > Disks?

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Still no luck. The HD shows up in the AirPort Utility but does not show up in the Devices Panel in the Finder

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I am in a Mac-less office right now, but I have just recently upgraded my Airport extreme and my OS to the latest versions (did this 3 days ago) and my 2 UBS-connected drives are still available on the network. :/

I seem to recall having to go through the network to find the drives originally? And that they didn't automatically show up in Devices?? But since you had these drives show up there previously, that must not be the case.

I will double-check when I get home.

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Any word on it? I've read some forums talking about the HD having to be formatted a certain way but that shouldn't matter since this is the same HD (and same network) I was sharing a year ago with no problems.

I've gone through everything in this thread:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2298828?start=0&tstart=0

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Sorry I didn't get back sooner...I have a Mac Mini with system 10.7.3, Airport Utility version 6.00 and Airport Firmware is updated to 7.6.1.

The USB drives are where they had always been for me, NOT under Devices, but under Shared within the Finder panes. Click on the name of your AEBS and then click into the drive after it connects.

I just updated the firmware too, so I guess I don't have the same issue you are having.

7. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

This is so weird. I'm not getting a "Shared" option in the Finder.

Attached Files:

8. mstrze, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

mstrze macrumors 68000

I don't know what to say, I have always been accessing it this way. I have two externals hooked up to my Mac and they are listed under devices but the AEBS drives have always been under Shared. :/

Did you follow this from that other thread? you seem to have 'Connected Servers' chosen, so that should work:

"Also you might have to connect to the Router. Sometimes my disks don't automatically show up, especially in Time Machine until I connect to the server.

Go to Finder
    Choose "Go -> Connect to a Server"

Either use the browse btton to find the router or type "afp://10.0.1.1" (Thats the default router address)

It should then connect to the router. Should ask your for a password of one type or other depending on how you have the router configured. Then you should see your disk on the desktop or in Finder by clicking on the router name in the Left column."

9. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yes. When I type in "afp://10.0.1.1" I get this dialog box:
    Screen shot 2012-02-10 at 1.13.45 PM.png

And when I browse for networks:
    Screen shot 2012-02-10 at 1.14.40 PM.png

10. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

And when I plug my HD directly into my computer, it is referred to as a "Shared Folder."
    Screen shot 2012-02-12 at 4.16.15 PM.png

11. hafr macrumors 68030

Have you tried the IP of your AEBS? Also, a fairly stupid question but still: you're sure that you've enabled Sharing in Disk Utility? :)

12. mstrze macrumors 68000

Also, go into the Airport Utility and assure yourself that the drive is setup properly and that its info didn't somehow get lost when the update occurred.

Best thing to do is just start from scratch.

(Aside: are you sure your drive originally showed up in Devices and not Sharing when connected to the Airport Extreme? That's an odd red flag to me.)

13. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

When I was running Leopard it showed up in Devices but it doesn't show up in Snow Leopard.

Here is what the Airport Utility is showing me:

Attached Files:

14. mstrze macrumors 68000

Well I am at a loss, perhaps someone else has some advice. Like I said I really don't think it should have ever shown up in Devices since it was connected through the AEBS. :confused:

15. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well you never know, maybe I'm wrong in thinking that it was under Devices. It was over a year ago. Let's say it was under Sharing, where would I go from there?

16. sltyler1 macrumors newbie

John have your tried it with the update to the Airport Utility?

17. mfram macrumors 65816

If you want the drive shared by the AEBS, I believe it must be formatted HFS+. Is there data on the drive you want to keep? If not, reformat the drive with the proper filesystem. The AEBS definitely won't be able to read the drive if it is formatted NTFS.

18. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

As I mentioned before:

I have updated but haven't tried hooking the HD up. I'll give it a shot later today.

19. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57