Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Well, as the title says. Share with us your daily routine

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I wake up then I go back to bed then I wake up again and get out of bed and then I check my phone and get back in bed and don't go to sleep but I think about going back to sleep and then I get out of bed and go to the bathroom for approximately one minute and then I go into the kitchen and think about breakfast and then I decide that I really don't want cereal again so I look for leftovers and there are never any leftovers so I just skip breakfast because I don't like cereal even though I buy it every week and then I shower and get dressed and then I surf the web for an hour and then I get bored so I turn off the computer and go for a walk and then after an hour or so I go home and I feed my dog and give him water and then I pet him because he's a good boy and then I sit on my phone and check facebook for another hour and then I think about lunch and decide nothing I bought at the store sounds good so I call my friend and we go out somewhere and then I decide I don't really want to wait at somewhere slow like olive garden and he does and we get into a fight and I just go to wendys or somewhere instead and then my mom calls and I ignore the call and take a nap and then I wake up and I decide to play a video game and then I'm bored with it after an hour or so so I decide to make dinner and then I make more than I wanted so I'd have leftovers for breakfast tomorrow but then I give it to the dog because he begs for it and then I go to bed and dream about killing orcs and then my mom calls me again and I answer it and I tell her I'm on a business trip in hawaii or somewhere even though Im not a businessman and she goes on and on about her life and I just hang up in the middle of it and then I go to sleep

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I wake up then I go back to bed then I wake up again and get out of bed and then I check my phone and get back in bed and don't go to sleep but I think about going back to sleep and then I get out of bed and go to the bathroom for approximately one minute and then I go into the kitchen and think about breakfast and then I decide that I really don't want cereal again so I look for leftovers and there are never any leftovers so I just skip breakfast because I don't like cereal even though I buy it every week and then I shower and get dressed and then I surf the web for an hour and then I get bored so I turn off the computer and go for a walk and then after an hour or so I go home and I feed my dog and give him water and then I pet him because he's a good boy and then I sit on my phone and check facebook for another hour and then I think about lunch and decide nothing I bought at the store sounds good so I call my friend and we go out somewhere and then I decide I don't really want to wait at somewhere slow like olive garden and he does and we get into a fight and I just go to wendys or somewhere instead and then my mom calls and I ignore the call and take a nap and then I wake up and I decide to play a video game and then I'm bored with it after an hour or so so I decide to make dinner and then I make more than I wanted so I'd have leftovers for breakfast tomorrow but then I give it to the dog because he begs for it and then I go to bed and dream about killing orcs and then my mom calls me again and I answer it and I tell her I'm on a business trip in hawaii or somewhere even though Im not a businessman and she goes on and on about her life and I just hang up in the middle of it and then I go to sleep

Upvoted for comedic value. For full effect, select the text of the post, then choose Edit > Speech > Start Speaking (or whatever your browser provides for speaking text).

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Okay, I'll bite...

My daily routine is anything but routine. As a freelancer in the entertainment industry, every day is different, unless I'm on a long-term movie set or something. But, here's my typical day during the last movie:

5:00am - First alarm goes off, hit snooze
5:09am - First alarm snooze goes off....h-t snooze again.
5:10am - Second "emergency" alarm goes off. You got it...hit snooze.
...a few more alarms and sometimes a punch from my wife...
5:25am - Roll out of bed in a sloggy blur. Head to the bathroom to get dressed, brush my teeth/hair, etc.
5:35am - On the road
6:15am - Arrive at the studio, hang out in the car for a few listening to the morning show on the radio
6:30am - Meet with the crew, then get started on whatever tasks I have for the day
9:00am - Break. On a good day, we go out to breakfast. On a busy day, we'll just stay on the lot and make a sandwich or something.
9:30am - Back to work
12:30pm - Lunch. If we're lucky, we get to go to catering. If not, we have one hour to walk across the lot to our cars, drive to the closest restaurants 10 minutes away, scarf down some food, then get back to the crew meeting spot.
1:30pm - Back to work
3:00pm - Break...usually just hang out
3:30pm - Back to work
6:30pm - Done for the day, drive home
7:10pm - Arrive home to a three year old jubilantly yelling "Daddy's home!!! Hi dad!!!!!"
7:20pm - Start the bedtime routine for said three year old.
8:00pm - Dinner/TV/whatever
11:00-11:30pm - Head to bed later than I should.

And for fun...here's my routine from a show I did last year:

Whatever time the then two year old would wake up - get up and get ready for the day
8:30am - Leave for work
8:45am - Arrive at work
Spend an inordinate amount of time deciding if I'll have a bagel or a donut with the rest of my breakfast from the free catering table
9:00am - Start work...this would consist of checking for burned out lights or malfunctioning equipment. This was rare, maybe 15-20 minutes worth
Spend the next seven or more hours doing whatever I wanted to do (watch movies, sleep, personal projects, surf the internet, munch from catering), as long as I was present for the one cue every 75 minutes or so.
Somewhere between 3:00 and 4:00pm or so - Lunch...catered
One hour later - Back to work doing whatever I wanted to do, as long as I was there for the cues.
Somewhere between 7:00 and 8:00pm - Done...go home
Sometimes have dinner, sometimes not if lunch was really late and filling
12:00am-1:00am - Head to bed

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm always surprised at the folks who hit the "snooze", go back to sleep (and even more so at the people who do this multiple times). I wake up, I'm up, done, get the day started. Not that I'm all that spry in the morning, but I generally just can't go back to sleep.

FWIW, my "daily routine" changes up a bit through the weekday, change in workouts, school functions/dance/gymnastics for the tiny person that really change up my day, whether I'm being pestered by a client, how the surf looks :D

Upvoted for comedic value. For full effect, select the text of the post, then choose Edit > Speech > Start Speaking (or whatever your browser provides for speaking text).

Goddam, hahaha, I wish I could upvote this 10 times ...

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm always surprised at the folks who hit the "snooze", go back to sleep (and even more so at the people who do this multiple times). I wake up, I'm up, done, get the day started.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. Some people love to jump right out of bed when the alarm goes off. More power to 'em. That ain't me. I love to lay there in yummy warmness until I really have to get up. I set my alarms accordingly so that I have time to lay there for a bit. Gives me time to wake up little before getting a move on.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm an indie games dev (PC and console, not mobile or web)

Wake up at 11am. No alarms. Just jump right up and crack on with it.
Check social media, best way for finding news IMO, until around 11:30
Emails+networking stuff on OSX until 12:30
Dinner after that
Reboot into Windows usually around 13:00
Work until tea at 17:00
Maybe watch an episode of something but usually back to working at 18:00
Work until 21:00 usually. If works either going well or I'm really enjoying it I'll carry on until midnight.
Play games or watch TV/films until 2-3am.
Sleep!

Every Friday afternoon I go swimming, every Saturday I go hiking.

That's a normal day, they're not that common. This week I've been doing photoshoots and interviews, and shopping for stuff for a new house.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
As they say, different strokes for different folks. Some people love to jump right out of bed when the alarm goes off. More power to 'em. That ain't me. I love to lay there in yummy warmness until I really have to get up. I set my alarms accordingly so that I have time to lay there for a bit. Gives me time to wake up little before getting a move on.

I'm not so much an "up and at 'em" kind of person, I just feel worse if I somehow fall back asleep, so I remove that as a possibility :D

The other thing is I work from home, so when I get up, I'm not instantly thrust into getting dressed, or jumping in a car, my morning is pretty chill - except for workout mornings, then it's kind of go-go-go intense :D

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wake up, take care of the dog, my kids and work. I finish up with my regular job, and then go off to teach karate and/or take karate classes.

That basically sums up my routine, there's a lot of details I've omitted but that's the gist.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Boring but, this is the typical routine...

- Alarm clock
- Snooze 20 minutes or so
- Shower
- Clean up after cats (litter, food, etc.)
- Let dog out, feed dog
- Grind coffee beans, get water to bring upstairs to office for coffee
- Clean up after cats again, since their idea of fun is making a huge mess of the "litter room" 20 minutes after I cleaned it up the first time
- Make coffee
- Sit down in the office, start to work
- Work
- Lunch
- Clean up after cats, let dog out
- Make dinner / listen to music
- Shower
- Clean up after cats one last time, let dog out
- TV for a while
- Bed

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
I'm a teacher, so I have 'school year routine' and 'summer routine'.

School year:
- alarm at 4:30, hit snooze a couple time (yes, I play snoozeball)
- drive to the town where the school I work at is (about 40 miles away), grab coffee on the way
- hit the gym for an hour or so (5:45/6 - around 7 am)
- drive to my school, shower and get dressed. in my classroom by 7:45
- teaching/coaching until 4:00
- leave school at 4:00 if no meetings
- home by 5:30, dinner with family around 6:30
- play games or do homework with kids (well, my son, no homework for my daughter yet) until bed time around 9
- read/play games/surf web until 11:00
- lights out

Summer:
- alarm at 5:00, play major snoozeball
- arrive at gym near my house between 5:30 and 6, there for about an hour and a half
- head back home, shower
- get home/work stuff done or just waste time until 1:00 when our babysitter leaves
- hang out with kids until my wife gets home from work
- dinner/evening time as above, just no homework help

I get two weeks off in December and two weeks off in March where I am positively a slug, especially in March without the rush of the holidays.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Usually wake before the alarm.
5:45 get up if term time (6:30 if not).
Shower
Breakfast (cereal and a large mug of tea)
Browse MR etc. whilst having tea.
Clean teeth
Make lunch and another tea (travel mug)
Drive to work at about 7 if term time (7:30 if not).
Weekends are about the same tbh, just more tea! Maybe 30-40 minutes later on a good day.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I'm always surprised at the folks who hit the "snooze", go back to sleep (and even more so at the people who do this multiple times). I wake up, I'm up, done, get the day started. Not that I'm all that spry in the morning, but I generally just can't go back to sleep.

I'm with you here! Once my alarm sounds, I'm up. I might want to go back to sleep, but I never have.

I'm a teacher, so I have 'school year routine' and 'summer routine'.

Me too! We're at the end of our first full week of classes now, so the routine is set:
5:20 alarm goes off. Hygiene stuff, clothes, feed cats and fish, out the door by 5:45.
6:00 clock in and go to my classroom where I make a cup of tea.
Pretty much the rest of the day is spent explaining to students why they should be in class and not the hall, and explaining to teachers why I can't magically pull a new Smartboard lamp or projector out of some unmentionable body orifice for their immediate use.
2:20 leave the building (just call me Elvis), and home for a 90 minute nap.
5:00-6:30 news and Facetime with relatives
7:00-10:00 tv shows and support email for my other job.

Life is good.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
My daily routine is anything but routine. As a freelancer in the entertainment industry, every day is different, unless I'm on a long-term movie set or something. But, here's my typical day during the last movie:

Interesting... what is your job on the movie set? Do you meet celebrities? What are the movies you worked on?

Weekends are about the same tbh, just more tea! Maybe 30-40 minutes later on a good day.

Thats a lot of tea! what kind of tea? black? Why not coffee?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting... what is your job on the movie set? Do you meet celebrities? What are the movies you worked on?

Thats a lot of tea! what kind of tea? black? Why not coffee?

Some of those (that means, us) who hail from the British Isles have this inexplicably close relationship - almost akin to a rather strange love affair - with the beverages that are derived from the leaves of the tea plant.

Myself, I prefer the coffee shrub and the beans that are harvested from it. Preferably Ethiopian.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Boring but, this is the typical routine...

- Alarm clock
- Snooze 20 minutes or so
- Shower
- Clean up after cats (litter, food, etc.)
- Let dog out, feed dog
- Grind coffee beans, get water to bring upstairs to office for coffee
- Clean up after cats again, since their idea of fun is making a huge mess of the "litter room" 20 minutes after I cleaned it up the first time
- Make coffee
- Sit down in the office, start to work
- Work
- Lunch
- Clean up after cats, let dog out
- Make dinner / listen to music
- Shower
- Clean up after cats one last time, let dog out
- TV for a while
- Bed

sounds like if you got rid of the cats you would have a lot more free time to do things you enjoy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My daily routine differs drastically and depends hugely on what I am doing and where I am.

Thus, it varies considerably. If I am at home, on leave, it takes one form, but even then, it varies between week-days and week-ends. When I was teaching, it took another. When I am abroad - and depending on what my position is and where I am working - my routine varies again.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I split my time between set and "rigging", usually rigging. If I'm on set, I'm generally a lighting control programmer. If I'm rigging, I'm usually a data systems/control systems tech (aka dimmer tech). Sometimes I work as a standard electrician.

And yes, I have met a few celebrities, including one of the highest paid entertainers ever. Seemed like talking to a normal guy.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Some of those (that means, us) who hail from the British Isles have this inexplicably close relationship - almost akin to a rather strange love affair - with the beverages that are derived from the leaves of the tea plant.

Myself, I prefer the coffee shrub and the beans that are harvested from it. Preferably Ethiopian.
Coffee if I'm out somewhere, but I prefer a tea.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.