Share your feelings about iPads and macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBH928, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,
    This is not a debate between which to buy, iPad or macbook

i want to know how do people with laptops feel about ipad's comparing to their laptops?

Would you buy a laptop AND ipad?

I wanted a portable device so I chose laptop, that was before the ipad. Now that the ipad is out , I feel like a desktop+iPad would be the ideal choice.

laptops do not live as long as desktops, they run hot, not as powerful as desktops and they cost around the same.

Now that there is a device like the iPad, would you give up your macbook and get a desktop?
    Do you feel there is a need for an iPad AND a macbook?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a MBP, and iPad and an iPhone 4
    Each has their own strengths, limitations and uses
    While they may overlap in many ways, each has their own unique features

They are like children, you love them equally, but differently ;)

3. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4...

and while I wasn't sold on an iPad for a few months, I'm starting to see where it would certainly come in handy.

Obviously, I carry my iPhone around wherever I go and have plenty of awesome work-related apps (Billings, LogMeIn Ignition) as well as the necessary games. I end up reading LOTS of technical specs, manuals and tutorials on my iPhone - which was hardly practical until the retina display - but a tablet sized device would just be so much more practical.

Additionally, my wife is constantly left at home without a computer since I'm carting my MBP off to work... I have an old PowerMac G5 that is still going strong, but it's rarely turned on and it's tucked away in the corner... just not as appealing for casual browsing, emailing and gaming.

I'm thinking about getting an iPad for my wife for now, and maybe the next-gen for myself.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Since I bought my iPad last Spring, I find that I use it more than my MacBook. Don't get me wrong... the MacBook is necessary in order to do most of my work related tasks and it's very portable but the iPad is even more portable and as time goes on, it's becoming more and more useful.

For instance, I loaded Parallels Desktop Mobile on my iPad yesterday and now I can run my VM (win xp) on my iPad from anywhere. Everything works great like Quicken, Ansio (a terminal emulator to connect to my server at work), and ms office. The coolest/strangest was updating Safari and iTunes for windows on my iPad last night.

I thought the newness would wear off eventually but my iPad keeps getting better for me. Now back to my eBook (or is it iBook)..................

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

The way I see it is that people with laptops are after two things:
    1)Portability
    2) Space saving

With a machine like the iMac there is no space to save, its just a monitor.
    and with the ipad, it is even more portable than a laptop!

So do you think there is still a place for laptops between ipads and desktops?

Do you think it is still necessary to own desktop, laptop, and ipad?

or one of them should go?

6. tpg macrumors regular

From my point of view, the iPad is an expensive toy. It is intended as a media consumption device, and while it can be persuaded to do rudimentary creative tasks (like a basic office suite), it in no way offers the flexibility of a notebook computer.

Portability and compactness are important to me, but so is the ability to get my work done. I don't have room for something like an iMac, so I use a laptop, and get portability as a bonus. An iPad could never ever come close to replacing my laptop!

7. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I think iPads are more meant for those with Desktops as a netbook replacement

8. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

Personally, I use all three of my devices. I currently have a Macbook, iMac, and iPad. Not to mention an iPhone 4. I honestly use all of them equally. I take many classes online so I mainly use my iMac for my class work because of the big screen and it's connected to my printer. I use my macbook for when I want to type something up or just surf the web (when flash based). I use my iPad for watching netflix and using the internet on the go with bigger screen real-estate. I also write notes on there which has come in handy. It's great for books and certain games. It all really depends on what you will be using your apple products for. I hope that helped you consider if having an iPad and Macbook is really necessary.

9. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

well the iPad does not replace a PC

but my idea is that most people buy computers to surf the net and check e-mails, something the ipad is very capable of. I have seen it, most users are not experts not even advanced. Just browsing.

They chose a laptop because its small and they pick up around.
    Now that they can surf using ipad, and being cheaper than most laptops, I am thinking that a lot of the people will go back to have 1 PC in the house for everyone's use(like back in the old days) and the ipad will be the personal surfing device.
    Those that need printing, office, photoshop, and others will use the PC when they need to.

of course there will always be people that they need a PC on the go, I can't think of any jobs right now (film editor?!) but I know they exist.

but i am thinking the laptop market will definitely shrink, not only by ipads but other upcoming tablets. I feel like most people over paid for laptops because they will use 20% of its capabilities, surfing and email.