Share your Mac Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AphoticD, Jul 30, 2017.

1. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

One of my favourite memories of classic Mac OS was discovering "Easter Eggs". Many older apps had a "Secret About Box" or similar Easter eggs you could find by holding modifier keys (Usually cmd or option) while clicking around.

Mac OS X mostly eliminated this trend but I'm sure developers have quietly continued on with this tradition.

Does anyone have any little known Easter eggs for PowerPC OS X and our apps?

--

For example, just yesterday, after having used Leopard for a decade or so, I discovered that holding Ctrl-Shift while mousing over the dock toggles the magnify mode. Not quite a full 'egg' but a fun find nonetheless.

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

QuarkXPress martian

AFAIK it existed all the way up into version 8 and it's probably still there.

Video is XPress 4 on OS9.

4. AphoticD thread starter macrumors 68000

AphoticD

5. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

I've not really used OS9 heavily but I do recall playing Terminal Tetris in OSX. Tetris just happens to be an all-time fav of mine :)

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

This got fixed during the PowerPC era, but if we're discussing the little things...

I discovered having your Mac say "f---s sheep" (obviously, you have to have it say the swear word) will result in a big HONK between the two words. This worked up to 10.3 or 10.4. It did get fixed somewhere down the road to 10.5 and I know 10.5 could never do it.

If you haven't discovered the emacs games (not the eMac, but the emac command in terminal), then read here: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryGames

7. AphoticD thread starter macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Mactracker Secret About Box

While perusing the Mactracker.app Resources, looking for some hardware icons, I came across a suspiciously Easter-eggy looking image. Sure enough and in classic Mac OS style, holding down the option key while selecting "About Mactracker" revealed a Secret About Box. One of the classic Easter Egg styles of yesteryear.

I checked a few different versions, here are the results;

SecretAbout4.0.2.png SecretAbout5.1.png SecretAbout7.4.1.png

Kudos to the developer of this fantastic app.

Who else has found a Secret About Box in Mac OS X?

8. AphoticD thread starter macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Another completely frivolous Easter Egg, but according to this description of the PMU99 (Mitsubishi M16C/62F microprocessor), if you drop into Open Firmware on a Lombard and enter 'wink' or 'winks', the power LED will blink at you.

Curiously, I tested this on my Pismo and a couple of iBooks, but got 'unknown word'.

It may also apply to the Wallstreet or PDQ. Anyone want to confirm this? :)

9. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Confirmed on my PDQ that it doesn't work. Same error: "unknown word"...

10. LightBulbFun, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

got it working on my Pismo :D you have to select the PMU in OF first as it has its own "words" aka commands two of which are wink and winks :)

in the case of my Pismo type: dev via-pmu

then: wink

and enjoy :) (if you ever want to see the commands something in OF has type "words" and OF will list them all out)

(Spoiler alert heres a quick video of it in action on said Pismo :) )

11. AphoticD thread starter macrumors 68000

AphoticD

I don't know why that made me LOL, but that's awesome! Good work @LightBulbFun :)

I just tried it on the iBook G3 500;

dev via-pmu
    wink
    -- we get a couple of flashes. :cool:

then...
    winks
    -- it's now flashing forever! I didn't know how to stop it so I gave it the old three-finger salute (ctrl-cmd-power). o_O

12. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

Glad its working for you :)

I also discovered via this that the Sleep LED on my 500Mhz snowbook is broken LOL

and yeah winks also makes the LED blink forever on my pismo until I shut-down/restart, sorta reminds me in a cartoon/animated kids movie where they press a button and it sticks down and all hell breaks lose while they run around in panic trying to get it to stop :D

im curious what other macs have this wink easter egg ill have to go round checking all of mine now :)

13. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

dev via-pmu on the PDQ gives a "no active package can't find device" error. Must be a newworld machine- only thing...

Just tested it on my 12" PB G4. Works great :)

14. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

easter egg time again! :)

I discovered that if you dev via-pmu in OF

you can type sleepledon and sleepledoff to turn the sleep LED light on or off :)

15. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

I tested wink and the sleep led commands on my iMac G4, but while it OKs the commands, nothing happens :p

16. AphoticD thread starter macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Great! Now we just need someone to write an iTunes plugin to make the LED flash along with the beat :cool: