Share your Mac Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AphoticD, Jul 30, 2017.

1. AphoticD macrumors 6502a

AphoticD

One of my favourite memories of classic Mac OS was discovering "Easter Eggs". Many older apps had a "Secret About Box" or similar Easter eggs you could find by holding modifier keys (Usually cmd or option) while clicking around.

Mac OS X mostly eliminated this trend but I'm sure developers have quietly continued on with this tradition.

Does anyone have any little known Easter eggs for PowerPC OS X and our apps?

--

For example, just yesterday, after having used Leopard for a decade or so, I discovered that holding Ctrl-Shift while mousing over the dock toggles the magnify mode. Not quite a full 'egg' but a fun find nonetheless.

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 65816

LightBulbFun

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

QuarkXPress martian

AFAIK it existed all the way up into version 8 and it's probably still there.

Video is XPress 4 on OS9.

4. AphoticD thread starter macrumors 6502a

AphoticD

5. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

I've not really used OS9 heavily but I do recall playing Terminal Tetris in OSX. Tetris just happens to be an all-time fav of mine :)

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

This got fixed during the PowerPC era, but if we're discussing the little things...

I discovered having your Mac say "f---s sheep" (obviously, you have to have it say the swear word) will result in a big HONK between the two words. This worked up to 10.3 or 10.4. It did get fixed somewhere down the road to 10.5 and I know 10.5 could never do it.

If you haven't discovered the emacs games (not the eMac, but the emac command in terminal), then read here: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryGames

7. AphoticD thread starter macrumors 6502a

AphoticD

Mactracker Secret About Box

While perusing the Mactracker.app Resources, looking for some hardware icons, I came across a suspiciously Easter-eggy looking image. Sure enough and in classic Mac OS style, holding down the option key while selecting "About Mactracker" revealed a Secret About Box. One of the classic Easter Egg styles of yesteryear.

I checked a few different versions, here are the results;

SecretAbout4.0.2.png SecretAbout5.1.png SecretAbout7.4.1.png

Kudos to the developer of this fantastic app.

Who else has found a Secret About Box in Mac OS X?