EastHillWill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Every once in a while we share something about Apple that we don't think most others will agree with. It usually goes something like, "I'll probably get downvoted for this, but..." So, I thought it might be fun to consolidate those views in a single thread! Either people will disagree with you, or you'll find out it's really not that unpopular after all 👍

I'll start off: Apple Watch having an always-on display wasn't a necessary addition. There's no reason for the display to be on when you can't see it, and the hit to battery life isn't worth it

KaliYoni

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
Woz should have been CEO.

nfioen INGU038 nWoq1wn (written on a Newton)

I wish AirPods came with a 3.5mm audio dongle.

Reactions: djlythium
Comment

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
The butterfly keyboards weren’t actually that bad to use. In fact, I enjoy typing on them and would prefer to have one sometimes.

I do concede the reliability wasn’t great in general.

Reactions: EastHillWill
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Woz should have been CEO.
[I can’t tell if you’re being facetious in your statement, but regardless]. No, he shouldn’t have. And based on what? He was a hardware genius that was able to envision something and mentally map how it needed to work, that’s true talent. However, coordinating an operating Apple on a logistical level that required someone to pursue lengths that no one else could/would? Never. Steve Jobs made moves where Steve Wozniak never wanted to be the aggressor that company required in order to grow. The system worked itself out naturally.

Reactions: decafjava
Comment

EastHillWill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
The butterfly keyboards weren’t actually that bad to use. In fact, I enjoy typing on them and would prefer to have one sometimes.

I do concede the reliability wasn’t great in general.
Ah, this is a good one! And I agree. My first exposure to those keyboards was the first gen 12” MB. It was strange at first but I came to really enjoy it. I never had any reliability issues with the butterfly, but of course that was a real issue which affected many people

Comment

smoking monkey

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The App store pretty much sucks.
Apple Arcade is useless.
Apple TV isn't much better.
Apple fiddles with apps for the sake of fiddling.
Apple ruined FCP when they made it iMovie on steroids.
Apple somewhat ruined iMovie.
Pages and Keynote are pretty impressive apps.
I want USB A back on a computer.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Comment

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple should still include chargers and lightning to 3.5mm dongle in every new iPhone.

The full size keyboard with numeric pad should be the default keyboard for desktops.

Apple should include USB-C to HDMI+USB-A dongle with every Macbook.

Apple Watch 3 should've been discontinued. Apple Watch SE should've been the replacement.

Apple should open an Apple store in my country.

Reactions: yaxomoxay
Comment

EastHillWill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
The Magic Mouse is actually great and doesn't hurt my hand at all.
I'll also cosign this one. Never understood the hate this product gets, I think it works well. Even the charging situation, while dumb, is only an issue every once in a great while

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
The apps on the Cydia store early on gave Apple a ton of ideas on how to improve the iOS experience. They will never admit it 🤣
Absolutely. They just claim those ideas as their own and water them down while hiring the devs to work for Apple.

Anyone know where wireless syncing of your device to iTunes came from? Jailbreak tweak. Apple hired the dev.

PS. I had widgets on my home screen in iOS 6 because of Dashboard X. It only took Apple eight version of iOS to bring Dashboard X to stock iOS.

Reactions: ipponrg
Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
It really does. Main issue by far is search, which is horrendous. And it's actually getting worse with the ads on top of the results. It's amazing that the app store is such a big part of their business, while finding things on it is such a bad user experience
I agree. I usually just use Google on a computer to search for apps. Once I have an app name and the company that makes it I search for that on my device…or just forward the link to my device. App store search is just stupid.

Reactions: EastHillWill
Comment

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
The App store pretty much sucks.
Apple Arcade is useless.
Apple TV isn't much better.
Apple fiddles with apps for the sake of fiddling.
Apple ruined FCP when they made it iMovie on steroids.
Apple somewhat ruined iMovie.
I want USB A back on a computer.
Yes to the bold. Can't speak to the others.

Reactions: eljanitor
Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
I with Apple would introduce more high-end audio products like the HomePod and AirPods Max. I'm ok with a high price if the quality is there.

Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015

Keynote is much better than PowerPoint. I've used both extensively in a professional capacity. They don't advertise this, but you can paste vector objects directly from Illustrator into Keynote. That means you can build objects in your .ai file and then animate them in Keynote -- all without laboriously exporting them to PNGs or whatever. And because they're vector, your file size stays lower and they're scalable without worrying about pixel resolution. On top of that, Keynote has smoother and better looking animations. I've tried endlessly in PPT to replicate, and with a lot of work you can get like 90% there but it just never looks quite as good -- and you're fighting Microsoft's **** interface the entire time.

As for Pages, I know Word always has some weird feature that people "need" but I'd wager 90%+ of users would be covered by Pages' features. As with Keynote, the only real issue is that it's Mac-only which can make it hard to use for collaboration.

I like Numbers too, but also have to recognize that Excel is its own insane ecosystem and true data nerds absolutely need it.

Reactions: decafjava
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.