Share Your Workflow - Template

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zephyrnoid, Oct 22, 2009.

1. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

I've been accumulating an interesting set of data from people on their NLE Workflows , spelled out in just the elements and connectivity. If you'd like to participate, could you please share yours laid out this way?

Camera Type | Record / Capture Format | Storage [To Tape? DTE? Raw Capture?] > Capture to Edit Suite [Capture Codec/format, connection type used] > NLE Type [Platform+ Version of Platform & Software] (NLE Hardware config - Processor + Internal & External Storage Config (including controller cards) | RAID? | Video Card + Monitor Config | Editing Format | Output Compression | Destination Media? [Hot swappable HD? DVD? Blu-Ray? Tape? Other?]

No long explanations or reasoning- just the pieces and how they're interconnected. I'll be posting the results in a table in November.

2. zephyrnoid thread starter macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Nothing? At least in other forums I get a rash of responses! Nothing? What's wrong with the questions?

3. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

What is wrong with the questions is that most of them will yield different answers as it depends on each and every project.
    Most professional editors I know, anyway, work in editing suites and don't own any material. These places and their available equipment change all the time with each project and its budget.

4. L3X macrumors 6502a

I do small scale production at a University. It's me and another guy who do all the post.

- Use Sony V1U HDV cams for shoots. Sometimes HDV sometimes DV. We have a nicer Sony DVCAM studio camera I use for more important events.
    - Use Flolight LED 500s for lighting
    - Use Sony DV decks to capture.
    - Capture into Final Cut. Will soon be getting a few mac minis to capture.
    - Edit in Final Cut (use PS, AI, and AE for graphics and effects). We have 3 Mac Pros we use for editing. See my sig.
    - Export out to FLV for streaming on our flash server or DVD files for DVDs
    - we just got a blu-ray burner so we'll be experimenting more with HD footage
    - We have a 10 TB network storage which is slow. We're soon going to upgrade to something like a Facilis server with our Mac Pros on fibre.