Shared Apple ID's but 2 watches

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Scott-n-Houston, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

My wife and I share one apple ID to sync calendars, contacts, etc.
    We have separate ID's for iMessage/Facetime.

When setting up the watch, it defaults to the Apple ID for iCloud, calendar, contacts, so both watches have the same apple ID.

This screws up the 'touch' and drawing features, etc.

Can we change the Apple ID on the watch to be different than the iPhone?

2. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, you cannot seem to change the Apple ID for the watch once it's setup. I cannot figure out how to make it a different one.

3. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I don't have my apple watch yet so I don't know what's all in settings but could you "unpair" the watch (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204568) and then log in with your FaceTime Apple ID when you pair again.

Just a thought. Good luck!

4. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Literally trying exactly that as I read your post. I'll let you know.

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

It's time to get different Apple ID, why are you using the same one? Makes no sense, you know you can share contacts and calendars right?

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Agreed. Apple ID's are personal. Time to set up one for the wife, set up family sharing, and share calendars, etc. The Apple Store can help you with this if you make an appointment.

8. Simonrb macrumors member

In the exact same boat. Did this work?

Reason we share is so we can use the same 200gb iCloud storage and iCloud photo sharing, all pictures she takes I get and vice versa..

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

9. a1psx macrumors newbie

We used to use the same ID here, but last year when they added family sharing we all got our own ID's. It does make iMessage much easier to use (and find my iPhone spots all our devices so you can still find your kids)

I'm not sure how iCloud works with this, but we can share music, photo's and apps really easily, and all billing is done off the main account. I guess read up on it and see if it will solve your issues.

10. Simonrb macrumors member

Read up on it and looks like it's more complicated then first thought. Either we can have digital touch or we can have shared iCloud/Photo storage. Can't have both..

11. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes, it's the storage aspect that has us using the same ID.

I have discovered that the watch is forced to use the Apple ID associated with the iPhone. You can't change it. You can simply choose to login to it or not. If you don't login, you can't use digital touch things.

I've elected to not login on her Watch. She isn't very technical and would never use those digital touch features.

At some point in the near future, I'm going to get us all separate ID's, but I need to figure out the data storage. I'm paying for iCloud storage on one ID and it's needed for both of us. Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer.

12. Simonrb, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

Simonrb macrumors member

Did you try pairing her watch with her phone using her own iCloud ID then changing the phone back to the shared ID?

Scratch that, just tried it and it doesn't work

13. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That's what I'm finding. That's really screwed up.

The digital touch thing is really a "toy", so I'm not worried about it. We won't be using it much after the new-factor has worn off. Seriously, drawing pictures (on a 42mm screen)? Sending a heart beat? Oh well… buh-bye digital touch.

14. macgeek01, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

macgeek01 macrumors 6502a

My wife and I also both share an Apple ID to share iCloud storage for backups.
    We have this issue as well. When she sends a tap, sketch, or heart beat then they come to me and also back to her. When I send them they just go to her and not back to me. No issues sending regular messages so Apple may not be using iMessage for for those things.

15. Simonrb macrumors member

I agree, upon further testing it appears that it is your iCloud ID that is used for digital touch. It isn't linked at all to iMessage. It's either share iCloud and disable digital touch or stop sharing the iCloud ID and all benefits it brings. Then you can use digital touch.

16. bothfly737 macrumors member

Had the Digital Touch issue with my watch and my wifes as well.
    We all have separate Apple IDs, but shared iMessage.
    When I logged her into iMessage using her Apple ID the Digital Touch issue was fixed.
    I agree about the Storage sharing and Photo Streams, I liked sharing Apple IDs so I could have one large storage for everyone and anytime anyone in the family took a picture it showed up on all the devices, vs having to physically send them in a shared photo stream, but its the current way things are setup.

17. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've just resigned myself to not worrying about 'digital touch' stuff for my wife. I mean, really, how much will we ever use it. It's "cute" at best.

18. deadandalive macrumors member

deadandalive

You dont need to do that anymore. Just set up Family Sharing

19. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. We covered this above. We share mainly for storage reasons. Family Sharing doesn't solve that issue unless we pay for more than one storage, which I'm considering now...

20. deadandalive macrumors member

deadandalive

Oops, sorry about that.

That's what I get for replying without reading the whole thread first

21. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Is it just me or is Digital Touch a complete waste of time?

The animations are literally embarrassing. I am never one to use the "Steve would never have...." line but I can't see those as something he would've liked.

It does have potential but the current iterations are a try once and never use again thing.

22. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha. No worries. I have done that at least a few dozen times in the last week alone. These threads can be information overload!

23. deadandalive macrumors member

deadandalive

My brain is melting from the constant reading of Watch Threads and checking my Credit Card to see if it was charged

Still processing. Grrrr

24. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ditto… I'm part of the SS BSB group and that thread has literally caused me to have weird dreams about Apple stuff. lol
    The tracking of planes, the tracking of exact email confirm times (to the second), and which countries are processing which minute… OMG. :eek:

Oh… probably wondering why I started this thread then...
    My wife has her phone which is how this subject came to be.

25. Simonrb macrumors member

Even if you pay for more storage, the photo syncing issue isn't solved.. Yes you can share them but I believe there is no way of automating this process.. Fingers crossed Apple may consider this soon.. You never know.