Shared Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ian Myburgh, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ian Myburgh macrumors newbie

Hi Thank you for a great forum, I have a Imac 27 and a Mac book pro.
    New Apple User, I share both with my partner, we have separtate log in, How do i share app's between us , instead of loading Open office and other apps twice can we share a commen install , hate the thought of duplication and also a waste of disk so would like to see how to do this.
    Thanks
    Ian

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you install an app, it's usually available to all users of that computer by default, unless you specify otherwise. You can't, however share apps between computers.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

4. simsaladimbamba

As applications reside in the Applications folder, they can be accessed by all users, unless they are forbidden to do so via Parental Controls.

Or are you talking about sharing applications between the iMac and MacBook Pro?

5. goMac macrumors 603

On the same computer you can share an app.

You can't share the same install between two different computers.

6. Ian Myburgh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for prompt reply's :)
    i undersatnd i cant share between imac and mac book.

I have installed office on imac using my login and have now logged using my partners log and i do not see it there that is the problem.

I have not restricted access via parental control

Thank u once again,

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you looked in the /Applications folder? Or only on the Dock? Verify that it's installed in the /Applications folder and not in the /Users/yourusername/Applications folder.

8. Ian Myburgh thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded the files they went to download folder. i clicked on download and it installed. I have gone to finder/applications and i do not see open offcie there.
    I now have copied the downloaded file to the applications folder that i found under file finder and have run that again, i still do not see it when i log in as other user.
    How do i tell the differrence between applications folder that is mentioned and the users/applications folder ?
    Thanks

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help: Installing Applications in Mac OS X - Mac Guides

10. Ian Myburgh thread starter macrumors newbie