Shared folder woes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MoodyM, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

For some time I have had problems sharing folders from my iMac. I think I have everything set right, but my Vista laptops don't seem to pick them up. On the laptops I can go into Network and see an entry for "iMac", but when I double click it the only option is "Printers", I don't see any of the shared folders.

I can, however, access my Vista shared folders FROM my iMac just fine.

I thought it was just Vista being troublesome, but yesterday I got a Mac Mini and set up shared folders just the same way I did for my iMac, except this time my Vista laptops (and my iMac) can both see and browse the Mac Mini's shared folders just fine.

Also, my Mac Mini CANNOT see my iMac's shared folders either, so it's not just Vista's fault.

This HAS worked before, when I first got the iMac last July I remember setting up shared folders and browsing them from the Vista laptop, but something has changed somewhere that's stopping it from working and it's driving me daft.

Any ideas?

Thanks

UPDATE: ok, a little progress, I think I'm closer to finding the cause:

On my iMac, when I click on "mac mini" in the sidebar, i can see all my shared folders and in the grey bar at the top of the window it says "Connected as Guest".

Conversely, on my Mac Mini when I click "iMac' in the sidebar, I see NOTHING in the main windows, and "Connected as Guest" at the grey bit at the top. If I click "Connect As" in the grey bit, and enter my iMac's username/password, I can see ALL my files.

This suggests to me that my iMac is somehow stopping Guest users from seeing shared folders, but I DEFINITELY have the box ticked to allow Guests to see shared folders. Also, my firewall setting in OS X is set to allow ALL incoming connections.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What a coincidence, I just set up a HTPC running Vista yesterday. I'm having the same problem. I can't figure out how to see/copy/write Mac Pro files on using the HTPC even though I can see/copy/write Vista files using the Mac Pro. I can also see the Mac Pro in Vista but if I click on it I can only see the printer attached and no folders or files. I have no trouble seeing/copying/writing files from my Mac Pro to my Mac Air so I know my sharing is all set correctly.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

-
    Did you fined the solution? Seems strange that know one here seems to know the answer.:confused:

4. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Yes, the parent folder(s) of the ones I was trying to share had permissions of "No Access" for "everyone" in OS X/Finder. Apparently "Guests" are in the "everyone" group, hence they couldn't see any of the folders