Shared iTunes Account, info, everything

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by navymannings, Jun 25, 2013.

1. navymannings macrumors newbie

navymannings

Good morning ladies and gents,

I have a dilemma, my wife and I have several iDevices, MBPs, MBAs, etc, etc and it is getting just too confusing. Right now we have ONE iTunes account email/log-in or what ever you want to call it. I am pretty sure if I switch us to individual accounts I will lose all the music, apps, games I or she has downloaded, at least for the one of us who will be using the NEW email/log-in.

Any suggestions on how not to lose all this?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

First I guess I'd like to know what you are trying to accomplish. Obviously 2 accounts but whats your goal? this can drive the solution.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The app and music licenses are managed based on the iTunes account, change the account and the license goes away. There's no way to "share" a purchase between accounts, or move a purchase from one account to a new one.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

But you can have more than one apple i/d per machine anyhow. For example our family apple i/d for iOS & OSX is something@virginmedia.com. However I have my account on the iMac set up to my apple id which is myname@me.com. So when it comes to email, iMessage or FaceTime I just get the myname stuff. However when I go to the app store it uses the only account I have set up there being the something@ one. So you don't really need to switch as such. This is the same on our iPads and iPhone.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can create another account, then use iTunes Home Sharing to share apps:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819

Nope. See top of my post.

6. navymannings thread starter macrumors newbie

navymannings