Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Hey everyone...

I guess this question has been asked before, but I've tried searching and Google and can't really find what I've been looking for.

Anyway, what I want to do is use one iTunes and one iPhoto library and store that on a large network drive and then point one iMac and one Mac Mini to the same library. Then they could both buy and put songs into the same library (and same idea with photos).

I know that synchronisation has to be an issue and also potential for corruption if they both try to do the same thing at the same time, but surely Apple have though about this as it's got to be a fairly common idea.

The point is I want to use the Mac Mini as a media centre that can also interact with the library and not have to do all the work on the iMac...

Anyway, any ideas?

Mashiach

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
In a House Near the Sea
have you tried this.

If the mac mini is going to be the library holder on your imac set up the itunes library folder as the one on the mac mini. I am assuming your computers are networked together and you can see the folders and files on each computer.

go to itunes > preferences > Advanced > iTunes music location and change it to the mac mini folder of choice.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
I've not tried it yet (mainly because it's a concept I'm looking into and don't have the Mac Mini yet! - I'm just trying to find out if it's possible otherwise I might not get the Mac Mini), but I've been reading about it and it seems that would be possible only that the two libraries wouldn't synchronise because of the way even if you point iTunes to another folder for the library it still uses a different location locally to store things like metadata and the actual XML file for the library.

Maybe it's a "feature" which Apple arn't providing (yet), but I was just hoping someone might have had some insight into it, that's all...

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
have you tried this.

If the mac mini is going to be the library holder on your imac set up the itunes library folder as the one on the mac mini. I am assuming your computers are networked together and you can see the folders and files on each computer.

go to itunes > preferences > Advanced > iTunes music location and change it to the mac mini folder of choice.

This is the same solution I thought of. Let us know if this works for you if you do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.