Shared Mac printer with (gasp) Windows?

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Hi folks,

I'm trying to share a printer that's attached to my Mac with a Windows machine on my same network, and I've been having much trouble. So far, I've been told I need to install an SMB/CFIS printer on the Windows machine, but there's virtually no information on how to do so anywhere. Does anyone know how to get the Windows machine printing on my Mac-attached printer? I'm going to replace it with a Mac, but for now, we have few options. :)

Yurtra

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2007
I currently have this set-up, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it.

I believe I looked it up on google, and found a guide. It had to do with setting something up on CUPS and connecting to the printer through an IP. I wish I could find it for you, but I don't have the time right now. If the question isn't resolved by the time I check back, I'll find it for you!

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
I've gone the other way before (XP sharing printer with OS X) using CUPS so this sounds familiar. While it looks as though it is more difficult this way around, have a look at the following guide that appears to be up-to-date on the subject.

mmzplanet

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Florida
I did it by installing bonjour on the Windows PC. It will give you an icon to select a mac printer to install.