Shared Mac printer with (gasp) Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phanboyjohn, Jul 29, 2007.

1. phanboyjohn macrumors member

Hi folks,

I'm trying to share a printer that's attached to my Mac with a Windows machine on my same network, and I've been having much trouble. So far, I've been told I need to install an SMB/CFIS printer on the Windows machine, but there's virtually no information on how to do so anywhere. Does anyone know how to get the Windows machine printing on my Mac-attached printer? I'm going to replace it with a Mac, but for now, we have few options. :)

2. Yurtra macrumors member

I currently have this set-up, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it.

I believe I looked it up on google, and found a guide. It had to do with setting something up on CUPS and connecting to the printer through an IP. I wish I could find it for you, but I don't have the time right now. If the question isn't resolved by the time I check back, I'll find it for you!

3. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I've gone the other way before (XP sharing printer with OS X) using CUPS so this sounds familiar. While it looks as though it is more difficult this way around, have a look at the following guide that appears to be up-to-date on the subject.

4. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

I did it by installing bonjour on the Windows PC. It will give you an icon to select a mac printer to install.